Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partial Seeding, should it be practiced or unethical?

NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by walkman79 View Post
    1Mb up connection is a lot lol, imagine seeding with my 256Kb connection. It would have been impossible for me to keep a good ratio on ScC or ScT without a seedbox since they don't have any bonus system. Well, ScT made some funny contest to help their members with low bandwidth
    512Kbps is the maximum upstream bandwidth you can get in my country, and there isn't any company which provides 100Mbps/100Mbps dedicated servers here. So, I have to rent a seedbox from some hosting company which are usually very expensive for me. If I hadn't a friend who rents OVH for me my account would die in some trackers.
    Partial Seeding is the only way for some people who don't have enough bandwidth or storage space to keep a good ratio on their trackers, but some people abuse of partial seeding and just grab 1% or less of every torrent, I think the last is a bad example.
    you can keep a 1:1 ratio with those speeds... but perhaps users with such low speeds shouldn't be on such trackers that are too aggressive, as i suggested previously.. there is absolutely nothing that you can't get on lesser(less popular) trackers.. why do peeps need aggressive trackers anyways???... pre-times? do peeps actually need a rip the moment it's announced? com'on guys..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    walkman79's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walkman79 View Post
    1Mb up connection is a lot lol, imagine seeding with my 256Kb connection. It would have been impossible for me to keep a good ratio on ScC or ScT without a seedbox since they don't have any bonus system. Well, ScT made some funny contest to help their members with low bandwidth
    512Kbps is the maximum upstream bandwidth you can get in my country, and there isn't any company which provides 100Mbps/100Mbps dedicated servers here. So, I have to rent a seedbox from some hosting company which are usually very expensive for me. If I hadn't a friend who rents OVH for me my account would die in some trackers.
    Partial Seeding is the only way for some people who don't have enough bandwidth or storage space to keep a good ratio on their trackers, but some people abuse of partial seeding and just grab 1% or less of every torrent, I think the last is a bad example.
    you can keep a 1:1 ratio with those speeds... but perhaps users with such low speeds shouldn't be on such trackers that are too aggressive, as i suggested previously.. there is absolutely nothing that you can't get on lesser(less popular) trackers.. why do peeps need aggressive trackers anyways???... pre-times? do peeps actually need a rip the moment it's announced? com'on guys..
    No dude, the contents and speeds are far better. I love Demonoid but sometimes I have to wait a month or two to see the stuff I want, and when it's announced my download speed don't surpass 20KByteps but when I use those "aggressive trackers" I hit 150KByteps easily.
    Besides, I love to share and seed and that's why I rent a seedbox. Bitme is also other of my favorite trackers and some of their stuff you can't find anywhere else.

Btw, my bandwidth is very asymmetric 1.5Mbps/256Kbps and I pay $40 for it
    Last edited by walkman79; 07-20-2008 at 06:36 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    It should not be allowed. Partial seeding falsifies the info about any .torrent.
    Some trackers warn you about certain torrents being partially seeded.
    It would be nice if that practice was more widely used because there are a lot of torrents out there that look healthy enough but in fact they are essentially dead.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Aren't partial seeders shown as leechers in the peer list ?
    Last edited by walkman79; 07-20-2008 at 07:01 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    yes.

thats why it may look to someone that wants the torrent, but its a few months old, they can still get a decent ratio, they jump on it, download it all, and low and behold, they were partial seeders, so they are stuck.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Sorry to bother you stoi, but your members aren't allowed to see the peer list of the torrents?

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    I only do it at TL. "TL.SEED.FiLE DOWNLOADED: 48MB UPLOADED: 4.02GB RATIO: 85.916"

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    No, only the uploader of the torrent can.

A: its a hell of a server load strain

B: Its better for security for our members.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    No, only the uploader of the torrent can.

A: its a hell of a server load strain

B: Its better for security for our members.
    I usually look at the peer list and see who of the leechers are actually leeching. Some of them usually have 0.00 as their download speed.

iTS for instance allow you to see the peer list of each torrent, but all of the peers are shown as anomymous. So, all members are safe.

As I said a good bonus system would decrease partial seeding. Partial seeding is a consequence of people being afraid of a bad ratio

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    No offence to iTS, but they have 1000 members or so, we have 53,000 members and 6,000+ torrents.

So all of those checking the peers list all the time, hurts the tracker big time.

We also do not get that many partial seeders either, so its not such a big problem to allow that and put more strain on the server.

The other thing is with partail seeding.

It can look like your a cheat, especially if you do it enough.

We have an option on the tracker, where it lists members that have not completed torrents and how many theu have got, so either partial seeders, or cheats. But we do ban partial seeders as well.

We banned a member from here for it, even though i did reinstate him once i told him he cant do that, i created him the account as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast