Thread: TI - Smiled upon?

bblogs's Avatar Damn Straight. BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I guess most of you would remember TI (**************) from before it went down. For those that don't, it was an invite sharing site where giving/recieving was guided by a basic ratio and different sections of the site. I'm just wondering, was the concept smiled upon by site sysops, admin, anti-traders etc? Is that sharing concept considered old fashioned sharing despite the existence of a ratio + levels?

I'm mainly interested in opinions from someone who knows what they're talking about...but after all this is FST, all opinions welcome

Edit: TI went down months ago and it's still filtered??
    Last edited by bblogs; 07-21-2008 at 01:43 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20

TI was a very friendly place.

I'm not familiar with the opinions of staffers though.

I remember mota and a few of the old RTS staffers used to give invites there though...

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I modded there for a while. Came to the conclusion that anything with rep points spawns evil. I mean seriously, I was getting PMs asking about how many points 200GB buffered filelist was worth etc.

People created dupe accounts to get their rep up.
    People traded and then came there to create a fake giveaway, so they could trade and get points on a nontrading site I might add.
    People were signing up to and giving away open signup trackers.

Pretty much, if you try to think of any and every way possible it would be possible to corrupt the sharing system, you won't have thought of half the ways those morons tried.

If you are thinking of creating a community like that, my advise is not to as 90% of the people that will use it are complete morons.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Skies View Post
    If you are thinking of creating a community like that
    Woah! Assumptions!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Skies View Post
    my advise is not to as 90% of the people that will use it are complete morons.
    Firstly, if I was to create a similar site it would not be full of morons (..and yes, from the 5 minutes I spent there I got the same impression)

Secondly, I didn't even realise giving accounts counted. I was talking specifically invites..which is far sight different from accounts.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Seriously frowned upon, so much so that 1 site sent out PMs saying you must give up your membership there or face disablement.

And there's always those that will take advantage of any situation presented to them, and they will find ways & loopholes round anything as long as they get what they want from it. So it turns into an invite fest of those wanting to climb ladders for the wrong reasons and handing out anything and everything to almost just anyone.

It isn't worth the hassle, or having your name associated/sullied with such places.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    frendly place ...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Make a forum with no reputation at all. People get to know one another and the only thing they get out of inviting someone is the joy of hooking someone up expecting nothing in return. That's the way it should be. Invite your friends, then they invite their friends, and they invite their friends, and so on, and so on...

That way people won't just give invites for the sake of giving invites.

Keep it small. Even a very small user base forum can be invaded by some dickhead, that when found out starts spreading lies and tries to corrupt.
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 07-21-2008 at 06:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I already run that kind of forum...I was just thinking out loud (in writing) about expansion/inprovement