Thread: Setting up a proxy?

crumble6's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Question Mark

Ok with all this crap about UK ISPs stamping down on piracy, I figured it's finally time to do what I was going to do a couple of months ago...

I have a seedbox, so my ISP wont notice me torrenting what so ever. However when it comes to music, torrents are only good if you want albums. For single tracks I tend to use FrostWire or Ares, but obviously these will stick out like a sore thumb to the ISP.

What I want to do is set up a proxy on my seedbox (which is running ubuntu) so that I can enter the proxy details in frost/ares and make them connect through it. I have seen loads of guides on the internet but they all seem to involve SSH tunnelling... now I'm not sure if its just me being retarded, but I can't get it working at all.

Anyone know of any decent guides, or have any tips?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    use encrypted usenet and walk away from p2p or ive heard of something called "your freedom + sockscap"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    SSH tunneling is easy, I'm guessing you are using Windows as your home OS?

If Linux is running on your home machine as well its as simple as

# ssh -D 8080 [email protected] -p 22

To explain, -D tells the local ssh to setup a proxy on port 8080. username is the ssh login name of the server your connecting too, -p 22 is the port of the remote ssh server.

Once that's done, in your applications select SOCKET5 proxy, hostname: localhost, port: 8080. leave username and passwords blank!

On Windows, you'd have to use putty. Never used it myself, but its almost the same to setup and use.
    So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.
    - Sun Tzu