Thread: Wireless N Routers??

apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Has the time come to upgrade to Wireless N routerts like DLink 615 and 655 or the is it still plagued by frequent disconnection n other problems?
    (I currently have a Buffalo G-54)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Are you maxing out your current 54mb/s link?

If not, I see no point in upgrading just for the sake of it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Well i have to be honest, with Wireless G router (4 of them) i got lots of connection resets and just a pain in the ass.

I went with wireless N and its great, i still get connection errors occasionally, but its about once a week or so if that.

Netgear WNR854T

with the WN311T PCi adaptor and its been 1 mil times better than the G i used to have.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Edit - I misread your question. I agree that only if you are maxing out wireless G speeds, then there is no reason for n other than increased range.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    not exactly as long as you upgrade your wireless card to an "N" then and you change your wireless N router settings to "wide" or 40 MHz you will get 300mbs instead of 54mbs range isn't the only benefit of N.

I myself just got a linksys Wireless N gigabit outer for when Verizon Fios comes to Brooklyn I decided to get a N pci card and its awesome with the HTPC I have had it for around a month now and I have not had a disconnect yet (knock on wood) but I have noticed my speed is far better than my old wireless G so I say go for it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I have like a Laptop and 3 pcs connected to this wi-fi router .. At some point of time i guess max out the 54mbps as there would be media streaming to all PCS .. but this is occasional .. I also have to cover a area of 1200 sq ft (plus a additonal floor)

@Stoi - Hows the range on Netgear WNR854T ... I heard that wireless N router have uaually a very low range and they they suffer from heavy interference from Micros n stuff

@lynx - Does it offer any additional advantages ....

But i think most of good N routers work in exclusive mode right? i.e either
    N or G etc

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Modem and router are in the front living room.

My PC is in the front bedroom, so right above it.

kids PC is in the back bedroom, so about 30ft away maybe a bit more.

and its fine.

With the G router i used to max my downloads at 20meg. but i got a lot of disconnections at that speed (usenet not torrents) and the kids couldnt get over 5meg on theirs and more like 1-2meg most of the time, and constant disconnections.

Went with this with a wireless N card on both PCs and we both max out and not many disconnections, we still get some, i wont lie, but its a million times better than G.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Right.
    But chk these out : User Reviews for yer WNR854T
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122100
    Its a gud router but it dies quickly ..
    do u have any NAS connected to this router for streaming media n stuff?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    well saying that my first one did die, i forgot all about that actually. but this one has been great so far, about 7 months in, so knowing my luck, boom soon lol

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    well saying that my first one did die, i forgot all about that actually. but this one has been great so far, about 7 months in, so knowing my luck, boom soon lol
    In the order of occurrence(Left to right):-

Well i am from india n a friend of mine wud be getting this so i think RMA wont be a possibility for me ..