Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hosts File

Anyone know if there are any disadvantages to a large collection of addresses in the HOSTS file? If not, how about you share with me your file and I'll compile them then share with everyone. I'll also maintin it.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by nikita69@20 August 2003 - 21:42
    Anyone know if there are any disadvantages to a large collection of addresses in the HOSTS file?  If not, how about you share with me your file and I'll compile them then share with everyone.  I'll also maintin it.
    If u have a old computer then u should stick with lame pop up stopper, or if u paid less than $1000 stick with pop up stopper....if havent done either of those then use the hosts file. If u have either of those two then ur internet will be slow,at leat thats what people say, but mines not affected.

EDIT: Hey you guys how many KB are u hosts files?

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Mine is 1.5MB. By the way, anyone remember what is the name of that program that lets you add more file to the main HOSTS file without duplicates?

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Originally posted by Shad0w Hacker+20 August 2003 - 17:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shad0w Hacker &#064; 20 August 2003 - 17:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-REALITY@20 August 2003 - 09:23
    Shad0w Hacker I see you found what you were looking for, thats what I love about this forum.
    Anyway I also use edexter, a nice little addon.
    You want to know something funny. I just downloaded edexter (great program) and after i came here and looked at this post. [/b][/quote]
    Ah, so all is well...
    I forgot it was Dark Blizzard, his avatar changed since I remember it last.
    Also I though the HOST file he had was linked in his sig last time I looked.

@DarkBlizzard, mine is only 25K since I&#39;m on WinME here.

@nikita69, I posted a link on the first page in this post, but here it is again...
    http://www.aldostools.com/hosts.html.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    U&#39;r the man REALITY. Thx. I&#39;m still waiting for anyone to share with me their HOSTS file to compile and share with everyone. Haven&#39;t received from anyone. By the way, the number of addresses in my file is up to 32K+ @ 2.3MB.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    UPDATE-
    Found a large file on the net, now the file total unique addresses is 48,859.

BUT, that file I found contained 0.0.0.0 (unique web addresses from what I have) instead of the standard 127.0.0.1. WILL THIS WORK? Will the file run properly with both in there? 0.0.0.0 & 127.0.01

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Originally posted by nikita69@21 August 2003 - 07:34
    UPDATE-
    Found a large file on the net, now the file total unique addresses is 48,859.

BUT, that file I found contained 0.0.0.0 (unique web addresses from what I have) instead of the standard 127.0.0.1. WILL THIS WORK? Will the file run properly with both in there? 0.0.0.0 & 127.0.01
    Any thoughts from anyone?

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    ballist0
    is it true that a large host file will slow your connection?

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Forum Star
    0.0.0.0 works too on almost every computer

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Originally posted by ballist0@22 August 2003 - 18:16
    is it true that a large host file will slow your connection?
    On an older OS, it is possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast