I was not going to post this but this thread made me want to!
edit: Just noticed the BC forum seems visually a lot nicer.
From BCG forum:
K here we go. (this is very nearly coded, its just the bonuses and the promotions that need working on.
Members must be a member for 6 months, doese not matter what class they are, before they can refer.
Users must have 25 torrents in their history, member for 6 months, Badge of Honour, and a .7 Actual ratio.
Big Change to the Site:
Ok below is how it does work, below below is how i planned it to work.
Member Generates a Code, He then passes this to the referee.
Referee comes to the site, gets a fake page. Types a word into the search box, 2 boxes pop up at the bottom of the page (they are not there until you input this word)
1 box for code, 1 box for email, click submit, they get an E-mail with a link to the signup page.
Click the link, come to the signup page, input the details they want, they then get redirected to the fake page.
They then get an email, with instructions on what to do next.
They come back to the fake page, input another word in the search box, 2 more boxes pop up, login,, password and submit.
They submit they are in.
If you logout you get the fake page.
The codes that you generate are all liked to you, either 5 minutes ago, or 5 years ago. and its a new code for every referee.
- Hide The Front Page From Non Members
- Have a Referal Username/Code Box, Username can be encoded as well
- Have something on which will take you to a login page, but you still cant see the site until you have logged in.
How the Username Codebox will work:
- Member gets a referal link in their profile
- He then gives this referal link to the member he wants to join.
- The potential member then clicks the link and it takes them to a page with an Input Email Address. Along with the Referal code in the URL.
- They input their email address, They then get sent an Email from us, with [Username] has sent you a referal invite from BCG. Go to [link for fake page] and imput [username code] [referal code] (both will be different from any codes used previously).
- The potential member, then puts in his referal details, and gets sent to the signup page, but the signup page will have the unique Codes in the URL if it hasnt, it just goes to a blank page, where its the same as now (maybe get rid of the captcha)
- The members referal link changes, so they cant just post it on a public forum and get 100 referals with the 1 link, 1 referal per link.
How the refereral will look to the referer:
- Instead of just a link to their profile, in their profile, it will be a brand new page, [My Referals]
- This will have a table view of everyone he has refered
- Username, Uploaded, Downloaded, Torrents drop down, Ratio, Who he has refered (this will take them to another page, or sub cat or something) Report to staff. Other things which i will get to soon.
Ok now the fun part (i am sure ive missed something above but its gone).
What referals can do for thier referees:
- We Give every member 10 gig on their upload, or take it off their download just before we put this in place. maybe let them choose from their profile, once choosen it disapears.
- Depending on class, when a referer signs up a referee, the referee gets a boost in upload
- KL can not refer
- User = 2 gig for their referee
- PU = 4 gig for their referee
- SPU = 6 gig for their referee
- Uploader = 10 gig for their referee, but if the member has just become an uploader, less than 4 weeks ago, they get what class they were before the promotion.
- VIP = 10 gig
- Staff = 15 gig we need some perk lol
- The Referer then has a pot of upload, again maybe done by class.
- They can give a max of # gig upload to each of their referees per year, this can be done by class as well, and the year starts when they give them the # gig. and they can only spend whats in their class. (see below)
- This goes in the other bit of the table above.
- Kl = No pot to piss in
- User = 20 gig
- PU = 50 gig
- SPU = 100 gig
- Uploader = 150 gig (again got to be an uploader for at least a month before they get this)
- VIP = 150 gig
- Staff = 200 gig
This is how much each class can give to each of their referees, The max Value. So a User can give 2 gig to a referee straight away, or 500 meg 1 month, 500meg the next, but no more than 2 gig in a year.
- KL = 0
- User = 2gig to each referee, so thats 2 gig to 10 referees, or 1 gig to 20, or 500meg to 30.
- PU = 5gig
- SPU = 10 gig
- Uploader and VIP = 15 gig
- Staff = 20 gig
- The above does come out of your own upload, and maybe we can say something like, Give them upload = * 1 so 1 gig = 1 gig off your upload, take download off = * 3 so 1 gig = 3 gig off your upload.
The benefits for the referer:
- The referee makes it to PU, referer gets 5 gig on upload
- The referee makes it to SPU, referer gets 20 gig on upload
- The referee makes it to Uploader/VIP they get 50 gig on their upload
- The above only happens once for each referee.
If the referee then refers someone themselves, then the original referer in the chain, can get.
- To PU = 1 gig upload
- SPU = 2 gig upload
- Uploader/Vip = 5 gig upload
- Again this can only happen once per member that gets that achievement.
The Consequences: (this has not been fully thought out yet, conequences are the hard part lol)
- At staffs discretion. Drop Down on the user with.
- Just this User
- This User and All Refered Members
- Entire Invite Tree
then a box where you can put in what you want. so 10gig on download for entire Invite tree, Ban referals for 6 months for entire invite tree, etc. But Not ban entire Invite tree, unless the whole invite tree are cheaters.
Lets say you refer a few bad users, you have 100 gig uploaded, 10 gig downloaded. so a 10 ratio.
We may very well put your download to 60 gig, so your ratio goes down to 1.8 (so you loose SPU) stop your referals for 6 months as well for good measure.
this way if you want to get back to your hallowed 10 ratio, you have to upload 500gig not just the 50 gig if we had taken it off your upload.
But that all depends on how bad in your judgement you have been.
How many they get:
Lets say everyone gets 5 at the start, and if their referals do well, they get 1 more for every 5 referals that are doing well. If they cheat as above.
Promotions: This bit has just been added, This is everyone in your referal tree, so your referals referals, referals etc. not just who you refer.
Promotion to PU through Referrals
Referred Min 50 members
Member at least 4 weeks
Uploaded minimum of 50Gb
At least 30 completed torrents in history
Actual Ratio of 1.05 or above for referer
Not in KL for all referred
Min 40 of 50 referred members in PU or above
Promotion to SPU through Referrals
Referred Min 200 members
Member at least 12 weeks
Uploaded minimum of 200Gb
At least 50 completed torrents in history
Actual Ratio of 2.05 or above for referer
Not in KL for all referred
Min 190 of 200 referred members in PU or above
Min 75 of 200 referred members in SPU or above
So you can get there with Uploading, like now, but you can get there by referals as well. or you can get their by both.
The Promotion is Dunkyrocks, i was going out and did something haphazard similar, but those are his words.
Remember, this is to get good members in, and for a better community, to many ttimes i have seen members give their invites to anyone, once they are in, they are left to their own devices, this way, "hopefully" members will take a lot more active interest in who they get into the site, make it feel more like a community, and report them if they see anything suspicious.
It is a little bit complicated, but im sure once its in place, after your first 1 or 2 referals, it will become 2nd nature.
K i dont think i have missed anything, and everything above will go into it. This isnt so much an idea thread for what we can change, its just to show you what we have planned in the very near, not to distant future.
Last edited by KennyX; 07-26-2008 at 06:43 AM.
07-26-2008, 06:56 AM
To much work to go through just to invite a person. I just won't invite anyone(I never really invited anyone anyway since my BCG account is too important to me and never wanted one of my invitees to end up being a douche and fuck it up for me).
07-26-2008, 06:58 AM
how is it to much work, you give them a referal code, they and the system do the rest.
and you dont get banned for your referals actions either, ok there are some penalties, there has to be or it would just be a free for all and we may as well be open, and not bother with this, but they are not account threatening.
Ok you should keep an eye on them and help them out, but isnt that how it should be anyway, not just invite and forget, they screw up you get banned and dont know what the hell for.
We come up with something away from the norm, which will hopefully get better members in, make us a better community (because you should be a little bit more careful who you refer) and the 1st post is, "its to hard" "and i dont want to risk my account" when your account is not at risk anyway. (your ratio is, and your promotions are, but your account is safe. unless you invite quite a few cheaters.
Last edited by stoi; 07-26-2008 at 07:06 AM.
07-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Not account threatening, means I will take the chance and invite someone.
Is it up and running?
07-26-2008, 07:30 AM
someone good i hope, not just someone you have no idea who they are.
and not yet, it is being coded atm. maybe another week or so. maybe sooner.
07-26-2008, 07:51 AM
I always wanted to join BCG, but do they still have the rule that you have to "buy an email"? That always killed the deal for me.
07-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Well i am not sure what we are going to do about that with this system.
but we did allow plenty of free emails you know, we just banned the more well known ones, so it wasnt that hard to get in.
07-26-2008, 08:03 AM
OK, however I'm pretty happy with my gmail and the invite thread on BMTV said it would not work. My concern is that I've got a bad memory and use different pwds and usernames for most sites. So sometimes I need to use the forgot password option, but if I registered with some temporary email... well I probably forgot the pwd to that email.
Rules are rules, so I'm not complaining. I just prefer to use gmail if at all possible.
07-26-2008, 08:08 AM
have you not got an ISP email, i think i get about 50 of those things if i wanted.
07-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Ok ok, relax. I definitely mean to offend. And I definitely didn't mean to give the impression that I thought that this new system was a bad idea. I don't.
Originally Posted by stoi
By the way it was described in the first post, it does sounds too complicated. But if it is as easy as "you give them a referal code, they and the system do the rest", then that definitely is easy. My misunderstanding and I apologize. Ok Stoi? As a BCG member I definitely think it's a great idea you came up with something out of the norm that may have a better chance of bringing in the good users.
And even as you say, that my account isn't at risk if I unknowingly invited a cheater, then my ratio and promotions still would be(as you pointed out). So you can't fault me for not wanting to mess with anything on my account with inviting someone. It's very had nowadays to find a trustful person to invite to any tracker. I don't see how you couldn't agree with that. I don't care what the "level" of the tracker is. I respect and value all my accounts. If I do happen to run into a person that seems extremely trustworthy, and I think will use the account and follow the rules, then I'll consider inviting this person. But unfortunately, I don't expect this to be happening anytime soon. So I'll leave the inviting to all the other BCG members for the moment.