Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing punch bag

Anyone do any boxing around here who can advise on equipment at all? I'm not looking to join a gym or anything, I'm just toying with the idea of getting a punchbag + gloves for the fitness angle. As such i've just been looking at getting cheap kit, but i don't know what i'll need. I've had a look and i found a couple of things like this.

However, i'm not sure if that sort of stuff is worth buying or what else i would need to buy, e.g. hook/bolt for attaching it to the ceiling, & is it likely to come with the chains shown in the picture, & do i need wraps to wear inside the mitts? Any advice welcome...

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Now go away.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    You did say cuntbag, right.
    Now go away.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    lol

My name is Dan for the people who care!

5. Lounge   -   #5
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    stick it into a main board you should be ok. wrap up your wrist to prevent any strain or sprains when hitting the bag.
    Last edited by sleepyy; 08-04-2008 at 11:42 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    If you want to go with a heavy bag (for punching, rather than or excluding kicking) just get the best deal you can by doing a bit of shopping.

Everlast makes decent stuff; try to find something comparable - as far as fixing it to an overhead, you can find hefty steel eye-bolt/sleeve rigs which will take chains as hangers.

Sleeve the chains with what-have-you (bicycle tubes or summat) where the chains meet the bag, then hang the whole shebang from a piece of 1" marine plywood big enough to span a couple of joists in your basement or whatever.

Finally-

Be bloody careful learning how to wrap your hands/wrists, and take the time to learn how to slug the fucking thing with correct form before building in the power.

Also-

Don't have anybody (like kids) screwing around while you're doing your thing... my oldest stepson walked behind the bag and gave it a push while I was throwing a left hook once, and I ended up with my radius poking out of my arm.

I also aggravated my four-times broken right wrist permanently by slacking on proper wrap.

One more thing:

Don't use stupid-big gloves thinking you'll save your hands; it doesn't work that way.

Think small, with quality padding and durability.

Hope that helps, Ian.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    What Kev said.

We used to train without gloves tho', because they are for the gays. Toughen the knuckles up with scar tissue and callouses. The Ladies love it as well.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    What Kev said.

We used to train without gloves tho', because they are for the gays. Toughen the knuckles up with scar tissue and callouses. The Ladies love it as well.
    Oddly, the French use big gloves and lotion afterwards to keep the scar tissue, etc., to a minimum so as not to irritate their nostrils when picking their noses.

True story.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    We used bags and focus pads barehand. So that when we were actually hitting folk it hurt them. It also make you used to the feeling of hitting things. It's amazing how many people who are surprised that you hurt your own hand when punching. I always thought that was pretty obvious.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    I only punch the air with delight.
    Now go away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast