Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Unit Noise!

I've replaced everything in my new case a new silent fan and case fan thinking they were the cause to the noise but there not. Its the power unit fan that sounds like a jet pilot plane. Is there anything I can do to make it quiet. The case is only 3 months old, any suggestions?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if its a big power supply (350/400watt+) its gonna need a big fan, some have 2 fans! here you can get quieter power supplies but it will cost ya, also is power supply secure? is the fan secure and clean inside power supply? if you gonna take cover off it make sure its unplugged 1st

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Check out Thermaltake. Mine is very quiet.
    There are lots of websites devoted to hotrodding PC's and they all talk about power supplies. Just do some research.
    The money you spend on a PS is well spent as you can move it to your next project (assuming that something significantly better hasn't come out in the meantime ) with no trouble.
    Remember, when it comes to power supplies bigger is better.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Has it always been noisy or has this noise just started?
    If it has just started, then it is probably a faulty bearing, and at three months old should be covered by warranty so take it back.
    If it has always been noisy, then you've got what you bought and the only thing you can do is look for a quieter power supply. You could get one with a variable speed controller (enermax are good) and put some quiet fans in the back of the case to extract the hot air (I think you said you already have these). The ps itself should not require too much cooling so you can usually cut the speed down if you have alternative fans.

The cheapest way, if you are capable of doing it (a little soldering required), is simply to replace the fan in the ps with a quieter one, and possible build in a variable speed controller.

On the whole I tend to agree with clocker, bigger is better, the less loaded your ps is, the cooler it will run, so the slower the fan can run.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Check out the Antec true380 power supply. It automatically adjusts the fan speed depending on temperature. It also has an extra output just for case fans so the case fans are speed controlled also. I have this one and even on the hottest summer days the power supply fan and my 2 case fans run at about 1700 rpm. Real quiet.

Look at this article from Toms hardware site: Click here.

As for what to do about the 3 month old unit? Either return it for warranty if the noise sound like it's defective or replace its fan for a quieter one.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've been doing a little research on the subject (since I would like to reduce fan noise too), and I came up with this site which has some useful information. Amongst other things it shows how adding more fans adds about 3dB per extra fan, put reducing flow through each fan can cut perhaps 15dB to 20dB by adding 1 fan (a net gain of 12-17 dB), and possibly as much as 30 dB by adding 2 fans (a net gain of 24 dB).

And apparently vibration insulation can reduce fan noise considerably, I'm going to try that first.

Edit: btw, I've just recovered the fans from an old elonex pc, one fan in the ps, the other at the front of the case, and they were both blowing out, in other words the fans were working against each other. Make sure your fans aren't working against each other, besides causing overheating this adds strain to the fans and can cause premature failure. Fans at the front of the case should be blowing in, those at the back blowing out. Don't assume that manufacturers have got it right, most fans can be fitted either way round, so it is easy to get it wrong.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Right guys I ripped out the power supply, took its cover off cleaned it down. Just for my own personal question I tried powering it up like that, wow it was silent. I put the cover back on, yet again still pretty silent. Then I put it back on the PC, and guess what the noise all came back. Im beginning to think this is because of a lot of vibration. Any ideas?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well guys, what can I say?

I asked before buying a new power supply, and was referred to PC Power and Cooling. I first heard of them from a Dell forum where people were talking about how their Dell 8300 series standard power supply was not enough to power their Radeon cards, DVD burners, etc....and followed a thread of satisified customers from PC Power and cooling...

Then I asked the members of the Xbit labs forum, because they are the most knowledgeable computer freaks out there. They conferred that PC Power and Cooling were the best...and quietest...

So I ordered one, and, to be honest with you, the 450 watt power supply (Silencer ATX) is just as quiet as the 250 watt PSU that came with my Dell.

The Silencer ATX I can use on my next system, which will probably be a Prescott system (which I hear dissipates more than 100 watts)...which I am still deciding if is or is not economical to build myself...this Dell mod I made has few BIOS options, which bums me out, but runs real nice...

B) B) B) B) B)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by aintgottime@20 August 2003 - 21:18
    Right guys I ripped out the power supply, took its cover off cleaned it down. Just for my own personal question I tried powering it up like that, wow it was silent. I put the cover back on, yet again still pretty silent. Then I put it back on the PC, and guess what the noise all came back. Im beginning to think this is because of a lot of vibration. Any ideas?
    The site I quoted earlier suggests using rubber washers and nylon nuts and bolts to fasten the fan(s). I was personally wondering about using silicone sealant (the sort of stuff used around bath's etc). Maybe also use it to mount the power supply, but I think you would need to add a good earth connection between the ps and the case, but at least a piece of wire shouldn't transmit the vibrations.

Excellent piece of investigation, I think I'll try it myself.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    have you tried WD40?
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast