View Poll Results: Does Dl free periods, significantly improve peers?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

62 91.18%
  • No

6 8.82%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does dl free (freeleech grr) significantly improve peers on trackers?

Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    I dont think server load will be that much of a problem, even though these are new servers, we have had 100,000+ peers before, and it handled it pretty well. (we have just over 60,000 now, so thats another 40,000+ it "should" be able to handle.)
    Believe me, may have problems. Sites with many less users than you have big problems when they do free downloads.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    how about give the users a 20gb data limit to leech .. yea a 20gb (or more ) of chosen data freeleech .
    the problem with freeleech is users with really fast connection (20mbit+) can utilise the freeleech period to the max and users with less speed say 512 KBps only can leech less for a given period of time.. that way you can have some control on the amount they leech regardless of their connection speed ..

everybody loves freeleech stoi

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    but, they use the PHP announce, and their servers are not as good as ours.

no offence to them, they run what they can run on.

and its taking me 5 years to get these servers.

we have 2 * 1U Servers

each 1U Server has 2 servers in it.

each server has

quad core CPU
    8gig ram
    blah blah blah ^^ thats the most important bit lol

we have DB on 1, and and the site XBTT on the other (1 is just getting built up now, and no idea what we are going to use that for lol)

It may very well crash the servers, because at times its running slow now, but personally i cant see it (touch wood).

yeah but you can upload less as well, so why should you be able to download the same amount.

and not everyone, i hate the thing lol
    Last edited by stoi; 08-06-2008 at 03:51 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    FL at BCG would be worthless with the seeding policy. Well, unless you want to have a huge ratio I guess. Still for the average user it is useless.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Try Ratio Free on Requests as a starter? They are old games and might improve the snatch list on them, and it would give you a gentle intro into how you might want to take it further?

The problem you have is loads & loads of your new members will have been indoctrinated with FL somewhere or other in the trackers they have, and there is a plethora of trackers out there that make getting what they want totally FL 100% of the time.

Having to deal with your SP system for some will still be daunting, they are only interested in getting to 1:1 as quick as they can, not in having to seed for XXX hours after XXX days of seeding etc etc. Your older members love it, your newer members will not and will not start a download due to being daunted by the SP system.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    well i was thinking freeleech on recycled torrent, but eventually every torrent will be recycled so...

and like i said in an earlier post, i dont know if we can even do that with XBTT, but we are thinking about getting rid of XBTT because you cant do SSL with it, and we want to make the full site SSL sooner rather than later, so we may have to go back to a php announce.

and as to your point about new members, our referal system should be up and running soon i hope, so leave it to long and we are going to have them to worry about, at least the new members have been there about a month now, so they "should" know what to expect.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I would certainly say it does increase activity, just check out danishbits where the freeleech torrents have sometimes hundreds of leechers and the regular ones nowhere near that amount, I go for the freeleech ones on there atm as my ratio dropped down and need to be poweruser again.

then it's POWERLEECH woohoo.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    Holy, at times of freeleech I have been able to use my seedbox to get up to 50-60GB plus in 1-2 days. That were the best seeding days ever.
    And they worked best because when many people want to seed, they have to download first. That means lots and lots of people you can upload to

And yes I do think that freeleech strongly improves activity because their is a strong incentive especially for those that have problems seeding usually.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    kondrae's Avatar Trance BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    BCG isnt hard to seed at so the effect of more peers wont be as large.

also, you can ask bitgamer what postive/negitive effects their DL have

Skitt's Law: "any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself"

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    I cant, im not a member, im not a member of anywhere else hence why i asked here, so maybe you could enlighten me? even if its in a PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast