Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patent Application For Seeding Bad Music Files

Some of us were talking on another forum and discussing the saturation of Kazaa with deliberately altered MP3 files. Several there even analyzed altered MP3's as they had some doubts about this and wanted to see for themselves. Anyway one of the group found this and posted it to his website, it is a patent application for and describing how to seed altered files to P2P applications to prevent the distribution of illegal music files.

You can get a copy of this application at his website, the link is HERE WWW.HEADBANDS.COM

So I wonder why and what the significance is of applying for this patent.

2. File Sharing   -   #2

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I'm trying to understand this. Does the hash stay the same when you garble parts of the file ????
    If the hash stays the same, this trick might well put KaZaA out of business until extra CRC checks are added.

Otherwise its just annoying.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    If this is users ( so called users) intercepting the files for the sole purpose of damaging them, then mischief charges should be applicable at the very least.
    If this is a service provider or ISP getting involved in damaging ANY data transferred over it's network, then a full scale investigation and consumer uprising is in order.
    They have no right to assume any thing. It may well be that I am transferring MY music files from one residence to another using the simplest program available. Or any program for that matter. It is None of their business untill a specific complaint of abuse is recieved. Not generalisations, Specifics.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Downloading this to have a look at it. Of cource they have no right intercepting file transfers. EVIDENCE

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    If this is users ( so called users) intercepting the files for the sole purpose of damaging them, then mischief charges should be applicable at the very least.
    If this is a service provider or ISP getting involved in damaging ANY data transferred over it's network, then a full scale investigation and consumer uprising is in order.
    They have no right to assume any thing. It may well be that I am transferring MY music files from one residence to another using the simplest program available. Or any program for that matter. It is None of their business untill a specific complaint of abuse is recieved. Not generalisations, Specifics.
    Yes! Well said!!
    No-one should be allowed to damage a file.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Aimless6@21 August 2003 - 12:26
    I'm trying to understand this. Does the hash stay the same when you garble parts of the file ????
    If the hash stays the same, this trick might well put KaZaA out of business until extra CRC checks are added.

Otherwise its just annoying.
    The hash has nothing to do with it. Kazaa onlys check file names and sizes when cueing up files for multisource downloading, so if someone make a "Bad" file of the same size and name Kazaa will put that into the mix of source downloads and you will get parts of that bad file.

You can read about it HERE Secunia.com

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by Hdestm8r@21 August 2003 - 14:04
    The hash has nothing to do with it. Kazaa onlys check file names and sizes when cueing up files for multisource downloading, so if someone make a "Bad" file of the same size and name Kazaa will put that into the mix of source downloads and you will get parts of that bad file.
    That's f****n' ugly!!! :x

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    @balamm

Intercepting ??? I didn't see anything about that in the patent. I only see flouding the p2p networks with downgraded mp3's, that have the same name and bandwith as the original version. In the hope that we stop trying to download the original, or even dash to the shop to buy the CD for $25. Of course the latter will not happen.

@Hdestm8r

Thats even worse than I feared.

I sure hope we get a fix soon.

btw.
    Writing a virus is illegal in most countries isn't it ? Then whats the punishment for using this perticular exploit ? Fines, jailtime or (chemical) castration ?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Hdestm8r@21 August 2003 - 08:04

You can read about it HERE Secunia.com
    I think Kazaa hashes the first MB or so of the file for purposes of seeing which files are same/different.

I've seen identical-sized, identically named files show up in searches that DON'T go together as the same multi-sourced file. This is indirect proof that there is at least some partial hash scheme at work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast