Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympics Idea

Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    Fair enough, so long as men have the option to compete in Women's competitions. Or do you think equality would just be silly.

I'm sure there's plenty of chaps who would like to pick up the prizes at Women's tennis competitions.
    I think the point of being an athlete is striving to be the best. So why would an athlete choose to compete in a contest they could easily win? See you're thinking with your JP head and not an achiever's head .

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Pish

If women are to be allowed to enter men's events then the same must be true in reverse. Anything else would be iniquitous.

There only are men's and women's events to give the lassies a chance to win. Why would you want that taken away. The number of successful woman sportists would be as near nothing as makes no difference. Is that what you want, well, is it.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Was that a rhetorical question?

My point is, athletes don't care about point scoring. Men simply wouldn't want to participate in most womens' events, and would very rarely even see women in theirs.

But since you mention it, actually some events really sicken me. When you see women whose bodies no longer fit their biological purpose and you can no longer differentiate them from a 10 year old boy, I think the values and point of the Olympics is lost.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    Was that a rhetorical question?

My point is, athletes don't care about point scoring. Men simply wouldn't want to participate in most womens' events, and would very rarely even see women in theirs.
    Nonsense.

If men could enter Women's tennis tournaments they would do it quicker than you can say "Men and Women's champs: £600,000".

5. Lounge   -   #25
    I see you ignored the hot potato

I see the point in allowing separate events, because the Olympics is as much to do with the spirit of perseverance as it is physical ability. If you didn't have separate events women would miss out on the former. If however they feel they can compete with men and their performance backs that up, then how can anyone find a good reason to exclude them? I mean, darts for instance; what has physical strength got to do with that?

6. Lounge   -   #26
    I see you ignored the hot potato

I see the point in allowing separate events, because the Olympics is as much to do with the spirit of perseverance as it is physical ability. If you didn't have separate events women would miss out on the former. If however they feel they can compete with men and their performance backs that up, then how can anyone find a good reason to exclude them? I mean, darts for instance; what has physical strength got to do with that?
    I totally agree.

However for the sake of equality if women are allowed to compete in men's events then there is no conceivable justification for not allowing men to compete in women's.

Unless of course equality only works in one direction. What woman would support that.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Oh I see! You believe the principle of equality is so important it must be preserved over logic and reason. It would be commendable if it wasn't so unrealistic.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    On the subject of t'Olympics, I can't really understand all this fuss. 'Greatest show the world has ever seen'. It's still a bunch of people prancing about with drums.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Oh I see! You believe the principle of equality is so important it must be preserved over logic and reason. It would be commendable if it wasn't so unrealistic.

Indeed, couldn't agree more.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Equality must always be assumed and provided for unless proved otherwise.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast