Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerned About Sending Error Reports

Roosh's Avatar Poster
    If a program fails & windows asks me if I want to send an error report, I often hesitate and think that by sending some site, company or Microsoft a report that is related to filesharing or pirated material is dangerous and ill-advised.

Any truth to this?

Thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i heard the server it connects to has been disconnected anyway. it was used more when xp was brand spanking new.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Roosh's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by 4play@21 August 2003 - 08:00
    i heard the server it connects to has been disconnected anyway. it was used more when xp was brand spanking new.
    I can't tell -- are you recommending I use it, don't, it doesn't matter, etc.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i dont use it, u can read the info it sends

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    You should disable all that eroor reporting crap that way if it a program fails then you wont get that obnoxious error messages every time.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Roosh's Avatar Poster
    Thanks for the replies, but --

I just need a definitive reply: Error reporting is beneficial or not, and if so there is a risk you take in sending info that's linked to file sharing:____________________.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    The whole purpose of the error report in the first place,IMO, is to provide raw data to Microsoft as to why the software failed while running in it's operating system. The people who interpret this data and designed the error-reporting service most likely could give two rat-shits as to where the software orginated from or what type of program it is. I would have to believe that the whole idea behind it is to continuely strive to build a better operating system and not concentrate so much on the short-comings of third party software.

Personally, my own opinion- turn this feature off. It is not as if Microsoft is going to come rushing to your aid with e-mails or online support to get whatever software it is you are having problems with running smoothly. You will save system resources in doing this as well. I am quite certain that the almighty Gates empire has an IT quality and control department that they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for in salaries to tinker with and solve the very same problems that ordinary joe and jane users face with all aspects of windows every day. While your intent may be good in serving God and Microsoft in sending error reports, you really are not doing anything beneficial, IMO, for your system.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I never bother with it now, I used to, when fatal Windows errors occurred, but say for instance eMule crashed, would Microsoft really want to know about that? I'd think not.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    SO HOW DO U TURN DA FEATURE OFF?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by KARLOZ25@KAZAA@22 August 2003 - 16:01
    SO HOW DO U TURN DA FEATURE OFF?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast