Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russia and Georgia...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    ...are now in open armed conflict over the disposition of South Ossetia.

Given the structure of extant alliances, should the US send a military contingent, or allow Russia to have it's way with Georgia?
    From a purely practical viewpoint, exactly where is this "military contingent" going to come from?
    Not only is the US military strained to the breaking point man-power wise but for the past several years has tried to refashion itself to operate in a guerrilla/terrorist warfare scenario and isn't currently prepared to fight a conventional type battle.
    I'm sure the Russians are perfectly aware of this and even counted on it in their preparations...
    Indeed they did; have you seen what they're using to beat up on the Georgians?

Friggin' antiques.

The manpower problem is the unfortunate residue of Rumsfeld's miscalculation vis a vis my previous (by that I mean in a long ago, faraway, probably-not-there-anymore thread) note of burgeoning Russia, objecting to NATO's intrusion into Turkey.

Rummy had in mind nice, tidy fighting units, but he never seemed to notice a need for more than a very few of them - he apparently believed the Soviet "inclination" had been forever subliminated.

Duh.

I think NATO ought to throw in the towel and lead the UN out of their corrupt and darkened world into the daylight of AlGore's Global Warmth, wherein is secreted (and I do mean secreted) milk and honey for all.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Can I take it if the Georgian President's name was Hudson Austin the invasion would have been OK?
    Last edited by bigboab; 08-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    mossy123's Avatar {SouLfiRE} BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    The BBC's Gabriel Gatehouse in Gori, the largest town close to the boundary with South Ossetia, says there is a much-reduced Russian military presence there and that lorries can be seen delivering humanitarian aid.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Can I take it if the Georgian President's name was Hudson Austin the invasion would have been OK?
    Not Maurice Bishop, then?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    I had his name down originally. I found another article that disputed who was actually in charge when the invasion took place. I found the whole thing rather confusing with different reports.

I think the CIA saw my original post and removed all internet articles that told the truth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Austin

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    The US is not the world's policeman. So no and no.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    even if america weren't in 2 wars already, how do you honestly think war with russia (on its doorstep no less) would go?

imo a military solution was never possible, so to answer j2's original question: no the US shouldn't send a 'contingent'

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    even if america weren't in 2 wars already, how do you honestly think war with russia (on its doorstep no less) would go?

imo a military solution was never possible, so to answer j2's original question: no the US shouldn't send a 'contingent'
    At the moment, I agree.

What do you think of Russia's actions and rhetoric vis a vis their excursion into Georgia?

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

I had his name down originally. I found another article that disputed who was actually in charge when the invasion took place. I found the whole thing rather confusing with different reports.

I think the CIA saw my original post and removed all internet articles that told the truth.

I just read Reagan's autobiography, wherein Austin was (I think) referred to as the leader of the junta, or what-have-you, which was getting pissy with Maggie.

I'm quite sure the CIA (and Reagan, ftm) knew who was running the show; purposely failing to identify him by name in recounting the story is a sort of run-of-the-mill tactic.

I also recently read The President, the Pope, and the Prime Minister and recall the story getting the same treatment, so.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20

I just read Reagan's autobiography, wherein Austin was (I think) referred to as the leader of the junta, or what-have-you, which was getting pissy with Maggie.

I'm quite sure the CIA (and Reagan, ftm) knew who was running the show; purposely failing to identify him by name in recounting the story is a sort of run-of-the-mill tactic.

I also recently read The President, the Pope, and the Prime Minister and recall the story getting the same treatment, so.
    They should read our posts to get the truth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast