Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Which linux distro do you run?

I use Linux Mint 11 LXDE.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #132
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by denis05 View Post
    I only started using linux now on dedicated servers!

and I'm using the Ubuntu GUI.

but I confess I'm still very noob on linux: (
    If you start to delve into the terminal then be sure to read the manual entry for everything you stumble upon (just the basics will do) - sooner than you think, you'll get the hang of it. That's how I learned at least.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #133
    respawn40's Avatar Phoenix Wright :D BT Rep: +2
    For a long time I dual-booted Windows and Mint and kept Puppy on a USB; nowadays though, with my new computer, all I use is Windows.

I am a exsellent speller and I use grammer very good.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #134
    Used to be all about slackware, these days ubuntu.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #135
    Stabber's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    If you are looking for a lightweight distro for the meantime have a look at Peppermint OS2 http://peppermintos.com/ . This also is an Ubuntu distro, but uses the LXDE environment and is specifically designed to run on less than 512MB of RAM. You can download and run a LiveCD to check out what it offers. LXDE stands for Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment and the interface really is lightweight.
    Thanks Art. I gave Peppermint a try a few months ago. It was alright, but I decided not to go with it.

I did install Crunchbang Openbox a few days ago though and I have been in love with it. Openbox also. So much that I doubt I'll ever go back to a desktop environment on whatever distro I use. After using LXDE(on both Ubuntu and Lubuntu) for almost a couple years now, I'm so happy to get away from it. The desktop is really light, but it's just not as polished as it could be. It still needs some work in my opinion.

The lightness and speed of Openbox is great, and I'm learning it pretty fast. Really the only thing I had to get used to was that the menu doesn't auto update when you install a new app. Which I was kind of used to anyways as a lot of newly installed apps didn't auto appear in LXDE's menu either. But unlike LXDE, getting the app to appear in the Openbox menu isn't a pain in the ass. And in fact I'm starting to skip that route altogether now and just go with shortcut keys. So much simpler.

All in all I could not be happier with this move.

And Stabber, Arch is the distro I want to try next once I start having more free time again. Looks like there's quite a bit of work to this distro and I just don't have time for that right now. But I've read nothing but great things about so I'm pretty anxious to get into it.
    Honestly it doesn't take that much time , the official newbie installation guide is too long , i can help you install it in 20 minutes with a graphic environment . And there is also a x64 version which is very fast , each package is compiled for x64 architecture

6. Software & Hardware   -   #136
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Thanks Stabber. But I'm thinking of giving ArchBang a shot. It's supposed to basically be a Crunchbang'ified version of Arch, and I guess it's much easier to set up than a regular Arch install. So hopefully I won't run into any troubles. Since I'm in love with window managers now, I figured Archbang would be the right choice for me since I would install one on a regular Arch install anyways.

Although, I've been doing a lot of reading on Arch and the whole lack of package signing and the pretty obvious lack of user security interest by the devs is a little concerning. So I'm a little unsure about this distro.

Right now though I'm completely happy with Crunchang. Incredibly light and fast, and so stable it's a little boring(which is a good thing). corenominal has done a fantastic job with this Debian spin. I'll probably enjoy and really learn Crunch before giving Arch a shot.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #137
    Hey I am using 3 versions. Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu. Linux is very much user friendly now. But I am still figuring one issue I am facing. I cannot use touchpad of laptop. I thing there must be some plugins like thing for it but don't know. Help me folks if you know this.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #138
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatim View Post
    Hey I am using 3 versions. Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu. Linux is very much user friendly now. But I am still figuring one issue I am facing. I cannot use touchpad of laptop. I thing there must be some plugins like thing for it but don't know. Help me folks if you know this.
    I'd help out but you opted not to recieve private messages. Let me know if you're still struggling.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #139
    Arch Linux with Gnome 3.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #140
    I use backtrack 5. it's the best composition of linux. Many tools, really light and powerful.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast