Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about p2p in the USA

My friend is going to a college in the USA next year (doesn't know which one), so he was wondering if he could use p2p there. I'm talking about using bittorrent on private trackers only. Will he be able to make sums of lets say 200gb per day? Actually, how big of a pipe they're giving to each dorm room? 50mbps? That's about it.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +2

no problem

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    YAY FOR TRADING/! BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    it depends on where he goes to school and what trackers he uses, really

i attend a tiny college in california and try to keep my downloading to the absolute minimum (sorry ftn ;/) because the pipes at said university are tiny and closely monitored; obviously, if he goes to a larger school there will be more bandwidth being transferred by more people with a slightly less chance of any infractions

but . . . i can almost guarantee that 200 gbs of traffic on any university network will be looked into, and also that most schools are not subject to due process as in-home isps are, e.g. no cease-and-decist letters, no subpoenas, no alternate subscriptions, and in some cases a large fee to get his internet activated again if it gets turned off

my advice for him would be to do his downloading during the hours that the network is being frequented the most, like from 8 am to 11 pm or something, and restrict it or turn it off completely during after hours

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    200gb a day? yeah sure lol

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by yayyyyyy View Post
    200gb a day? yeah sure lol
    It was a joke, but nvm. Here we have 150gb caps per month, so yeah...imagine that. Thanks for the insight.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    mine is pretty big....i mean the university is big...yet they are strict with b/w.

2 gb per day.

anyone going above that limit multiple time has to get their own interwebz :-\

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    squirr3l thats fair enough !

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    BANNED BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by squirr3l View Post
    mine is pretty big....i mean the university is big...yet they are strict with b/w.

2 gb per day.

anyone going above that limit multiple time has to get their own interwebz :-\
    Why do you have all those trackers then?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I don't live on campus, so I feel bad for the undergrads who do, but my school will not even allow .torrents to download. I'm assuming based on that rule that someone using a lot of bandwith would be closely monitored.

Meanwhile, at home, I have called my ISP with a problem and had them test the line while I was running torrents and they don't say anything about it. I use about a TB a month probably.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Eargasm's Avatar Whoa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    squirr3l thats fair enough !
    Are you kidding?

I'm uploading 10GB a day on my home connection. Uni connections are known for being way better.

The best way to find out is to call the school and ask them what their policies are. If you want to do preliminary research, search the web for p2p + [school's name]. Some schools are pretty badass, they will even fight to withhold your identity if the media conglomerates are looking to extort you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast