Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russia and Georgia...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...are now in open armed conflict over the disposition of South Ossetia.

Given the structure of extant alliances, should the US send a military contingent, or allow Russia to have it's way with Georgia?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    惡魔的提倡者
    I'm torn on just what we should do. If anything it should only be as part of a neutral international peacekeeping force. Do we have the resources anyway? I would certainly steer clear of in the shadows type interference.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    If US gets involved then Russia will seek alliance as well which most probably will extend to massive conflict. i say let Georgia and Russia have their own way and let them figure it out if we want to dodge another world war cuz if it happens and a new world war starts it will be more damaging then it previous version, and i doubt world recover from it, atleast not as fast as before.
    funny this all started exactly the day of Olympics launch.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Well, then.

How should we view these developments?

Apparently Georgia has declared a unilateral ceasefire - Russia says they don't care, they'll keep fighting.

Doesn't sound quite right to me.

The UN is in emergency session.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    i doubt that Russia cares much about the Ossetia, since US Supporter saakashvili was brought to power russia wanted to do something to Georgia, he got quite good reason to do so.

poor saakashvili went on declaring war simply because he thought west/US will back him up, well he didnt knew US is master in these things, he forgot when US ambassador in IRAQ told Saddam that US will not step into Arab/Arab conflict which US soon did after iraq's invasion of Kuwait.
    Last edited by BawA; 08-10-2008 at 04:16 PM.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    The sad fact is the only thing we can hope for is that the UN does something about this. The Russian army is 395,000 strong and will crush anything in its path. The US won't take any action because risking their relationship with Russia after all those years could only be in retaliation to something Russia does.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    i doubt that Russia cares much about the Ossetia...
    Well, obviously they care about something, carrying their campaign three days beyond the Georgian cease-fire.

They state that Saakashvili "must go".

Would that the US spoke so plainly, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    The sad fact is the only thing we can hope for is that the UN does something about this. The Russian army is 395,000 strong and will crush anything in its path.
    The UN?

Do something?

Like...what, precisely?

Maybe they could issue 395,000 crush-proof resolutions.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Well, obviously they care about something, carrying their campaign three days beyond the Georgian cease-fire.

They state that Saakashvili "must go".

Would that the US spoke so plainly, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    The sad fact is the only thing we can hope for is that the UN does something about this. The Russian army is 395,000 strong and will crush anything in its path.
    The UN?

Do something?

Like...what, precisely?

Maybe they could issue 395,000 crush-proof resolutions.
    Thats exactly my point. What can we do? Nothing

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    well in this world strong says anything and others are either with it or keep their mouth shut and hide in dark, same as when US decides over night to Invade a country(IRAQ), UN is just a puppet in hand of Vito holders and is useful in face of weak countries, just a tools for big five to enforce their policies on others, one would be making a big mistake to count on UN, if you cant protect your ass that Kung-fu guy cant do it for you.

any how i kinda liked to finally see US being helpless in enforcing some1 to go its way.
    Last edited by BawA; 08-13-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Benjamen button

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    ...are now in open armed conflict over the disposition of South Ossetia.

Given the structure of extant alliances, should the US send a military contingent, or allow Russia to have it's way with Georgia?
    From a purely practical viewpoint, exactly where is this "military contingent" going to come from?
    Not only is the US military strained to the breaking point man-power wise but for the past several years has tried to refashion itself to operate in a guerrilla/terrorist warfare scenario and isn't currently prepared to fight a conventional type battle.
    I'm sure the Russians are perfectly aware of this and even counted on it in their preparations...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast