Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: turning my home computer into a seedbox

Hey there, a guy named Eargasm had told me I could take my home computer and turn it into my seedbox and just continue about my buisness as normal (i'm the kid who moved into my college dorm today). If someone could give me directions on how to do this, it would be SO greatly appreciated.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Bionic's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    But why do you wanna make it a seedbox when all you could get is the same internet connection which you've on that PC..

I duno if im right there..
    Twitter: @alhassoni
    Stay tuned. I could say something brilliant at any moment.

DL Speed: 1MBps | UL Speed: 228KBps

Speaks: English, Arabic, German, Tagalog(Filipino), Spanish and Chinese

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    ryan20021982's Avatar Z@X | t3Am BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    The reason someone gets a seedbox is for the speed if you want to make
    your pc a seedbox why not just run your torrent program 24/7, would be the exact
    same thing.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    you should lookout for the following software
    realvnc
    hamachi
    peerguardian

those are all that you need to get started up
    u install hamachi on both computers, and you must take a note of the ip at the home seedbox
    then you install the realvnc server on the seedbox, and the full client in yours, u connect to the box using her hamachi ip, and ur ready to go
    then u try install peerguardian and u will gonna leave him there cause it's useful

further u might think about completely formating the box hard drive and install only the essencial stuff, having a computer on 24/7 may bring connectivity problems some times, heat and others i dont remember now, you will want it the cleanest and neatest possible, and with one or few tools for benchmarking and checking hardware temperature (then look for lavalys's everest)

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan20021982 View Post
    The reason someone gets a seedbox is for the speed if you want to make
    your pc a seedbox why not just run your torrent program 24/7, would be the exact
    same thing.
    That's what i'm doin, just the same.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    edit more important of all of that is to have a router, and disable all software firewalls, ashampoos internet securitys, windows firewall and all of that crap :p

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    the reason i need a seedbox at home is because i'm at college and they pretty much block all torrent activety

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    home seedbox = realvnc + pc on 24/7 + utorrent

And if you have money, upgrade to the fastest tier from your ISP.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    That doesn't mean you've to turn it into a SeedBox, mate..

Activate your PC weather it's XP or Vista or w.e..
    Get the Internet Connection Speed that satisfies you from your ISP.. Ofcourse it's always good to get 2MB Down and 2MB UP..
    Install uTorrent..
    Get something like RealVNC or register in LogMeIn.com, just the same and there..

All you wanna do is download and watch on that PC right and do whatever you want, yea? You don't need to do this and that..

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Eargasm's Avatar Whoa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by jokzor View Post
    you should lookout for the following software
    realvnc
    hamachi
    peerguardian

those are all that you need to get started up
    u install hamachi on both computers, and you must take a note of the ip at the home seedbox
    then you install the realvnc server on the seedbox, and the full client in yours, u connect to the box using her hamachi ip, and ur ready to go
    then u try install peerguardian and u will gonna leave him there cause it's useful
    This sounds about right on a winbox, well minus Peer Guardian. It's not really essential unless you are torrenting from a lot of public trackers, in which case you should've been using it to begin with. Or of course just setup remote desktop and install an FTP server. Then you've just gotta keep track of your ip which is where logmein comes in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by jokzor View Post
    further u might think about completely formating the box hard drive and install only the essencial stuff, having a computer on 24/7 may bring connectivity problems some times, heat and others i dont remember now, you will want it the cleanest and neatest possible, and with one or few tools for benchmarking and checking hardware temperature (then look for lavalys's everest)
    Be sure to, again assuming it's a winbox, set the box to autologin and the remote software to startup on boot, and force a reboot every week or so from the cmd prompt: shutdown -r -f -t 0
    Last edited by Eargasm; 08-16-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast