Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got letter from isp. Are they watching now?

So I began downloading The Dark Knight (which was my first mistake)... then I found out about peer guardian and turned it on in the middle of the download. Well, it was too late. I got a letter from my isp listing all of the info. Port #, hash, etc. I've always used protocol encryption, which helps, and am now using peer guardian. I realize movies are what's being watched for the most part. I'm not planning on downloading any more, unless they are tested safe. My question is, is my isp watching for bitorrent traffic now? I'm thinking they probably get dozens of reports a day so they definately have their hands full. If I simply change my port number and tell them I deleted the program (which I have to do), and only relatively safe files, will they know? I understand there's always a chance of an anti-piracy company catching me again, but is my isp on my case too? Thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Are you using public sites? I'm guessing that's the only way they're catching on.

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by integral View Post
    Are you using public sites? I'm guessing that's the only way they're catching on.
    Yes, I was using btjunkie. Normally though, I don't download movies. Especially brand spankin new ones that are most likely on the watch list. I understand public trackers pose a risk, but I'm not as worried about downloading 5 year old programs and mp3s of bands that aren't exactly popular. Basically, at this point, I'm just worried that my isp is watching the traffic for a little while. I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to appologize and tell them I won't ever do it again. Then I'm going to hang up the phone, and do it again. Is there a chance the isp watching? Even if I change the port number?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to do that; to monitor for exact file names. What happens is, and this might not be accurate but I would bet money, is that people who have the rights to those torrents, site on the torrents as peers. And they watch the peer list for certain IPs in countries they have jurisdiction in, or ISPs they have agreements with. They then report the time and filename to the ISP.

What I would do, just to be safe, is to avoid those types of public sites. Trust me, even TorrentLeech is better. And of course use PeerGuardian.

And as for apologizing, just say your 11 year old kid was messing around with bad stuff and she has been corrected in her naughty ways.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    you better liquidate your assets and file for bankruptcy

you are fucked my friend. you are going down...like a prom date
    funny...but cmon man. I'm not afraid of going to jail or anything, I'm just afraid of them shutting off my net. However, even with that in mind, I'm not ready to give up p2p just yet. Just planning on taking less risks. Could always end up downloading a bad file again, but if my isp is watching to make sure I really did delete utorrent, they would be watching the port they detected it on...correct?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by endezeichen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    you better liquidate your assets and file for bankruptcy

you are fucked my friend. you are going down...like a prom date
    funny...but cmon man. I'm not afraid of going to jail or anything, I'm just afraid of them shutting off my net. However, even with that in mind, I'm not ready to give up p2p just yet. Just planning on taking less risks. Could always end up downloading a bad file again, but if my isp is watching to make sure I really did delete utorrent, they would be watching the port they detected it on...correct?
    so its settled

you will enter the following plea...

you will serve 5 years in jail.
    you will not lose your internet (per your request). you will, however, be expected to keep current with monthly payments (a total of 60 months) as directed by your isp.

you sure drive a hard bargain

ps...i have some beachfront property in montana if you are interested

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    lmao..

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    don't use public trackers or indexers. plus, PG is a false sense of security.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    tutipute's Avatar I'm Here! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    A going away present from me... I know you won't appreciate it now but it might come handy later!

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    c0njur's Avatar ? BT Rep: +1
    The real question is... why are you using a public tracker?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast