Thread: does isp throttle news download?

KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    allright, here i am thinking of giving newsgoups a try, mainly because my isp is limitating speed of bittorrent traffic during some periods of the day...

are you aware of some ISP looking at usenet traffic? i don't want to pay and not getting full speed download

also, i asked somewhere else but i'll ask again, how come having links to download nzb on fst isn't a legal issue for this board? isn't it the same as providing torrent links?

thx

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    There are several ISPs which have begun to throttle newsgroups - Comcast, Starband, and Directway are some that I know of.

Why not head over to Giganews and get a free trial account and see how things go?

As for how we are able host NZBs, I simply don't remember. I used to know but it's been some time.

Ask rossco or Reality.

yo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
    allright, here i am thinking of giving newsgoups a try, mainly because my isp is limitating speed of bittorrent traffic during some periods of the day...

are you aware of some ISP looking at usenet traffic? i don't want to pay and not getting full speed download

also, i asked somewhere else but i'll ask again, how come having links to download nzb on fst isn't a legal issue for this board? isn't it the same as providing torrent links?

thx
    try it, pay the fee get maxed out, also wtf is an nzb? its nothing but a "Message ID" (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZB)

also; welcome to my world ,
    Pimpn aint easy ®

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    The weirdest thing happened today for me. This is the first time ever that this happens. I started downloading an album in flac format off the newsgroups and I noticed the speed jumping all over the place. From 14kbs to 700KB/s but I would not get the max speed and then it would drop to 0KB and my internet connection would be stalled and google would take a little bit to come up again. If I close Newsleecher then it would get better but no normal. My modem never went offline.

I ran some speedtests and I was getting about 25% of I should be getting. Connected direct from my modem and the conenction got a little more stable but I was gettign only about half the speed. Reset modem/router, tried newsleecher and it started happening again. Checked Easynews homepage and no problems reported. Tested a download from the web using IDM and I got normal speeds of over 1MB/s but newsleecher was crapping out still. I didn't really try Utorrent but I tried to get something from Waffles and it downlaoded but I was not getting peers connecting to me.

Also while pages would not load and Newsleecher would not download. I was pinging google and I was gettign replies of 32ms and wasn't losing any packets.

I called my ISP and I was told that everything was normal. My modem levels are fine and no errors. Ok so I ran dial a fix, smitfraudfix, winsock fix, reset the windows firewall settings restarted my system and noticed it was better. I tried newsleecher and again it crapped out. Almost at the end of the download it started going at 1.8MB/s and then now is normal?

I checked my system with hijackthis, autoruns, process explorer and everything is fine. This is just odd. Oh yeah while my computer was acting funny, I sued a laptop connected to the router and downloaded winzip and it got me over 1MB/s as well.

WTF! I'm wondering if my ISP is fucking with usenet and or bittorrent or if they were having some issues and they didn't want to tell me.

But Utorrent is also running normal now and my speed is fine. I guess I'll see what happens later.

This probably lasted from 10PM to about 1AM.

Anyone else has had this type of issues with their ISP and usenet or bitttorrent?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post

thx
    SSL is the way to go

I have to use SSL on one of the internet connections I have. The other one is fine (another ISP).

If you don't need it on a trial account (get full speed) you should be fine.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    There are several ISPs which have begun to throttle newsgroups - Comcast, Starband, and Directway are some that I know of.

Why not head over to Giganews and get a free trial account and see how things go?
    will do!

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Plenty of ISP's throttle or manage it, and using SSL doesn't help as they often throttle encrypted connections as well because all the BT clients do it.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    bammers's Avatar Poster
    I know my ISP doesn't throttle Newsgroups.... maxes out my connection everytime I hit leech!!

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Well my speed seems back to normal again. It wasn't going to 0kb/s and back to 300-600KB/s and then 0KB/s like the day before. I was getting over 1Meg/s yesterday night. I guess my ISP was probably having problems.

I know my ISP throttles Bitttorrent but by using encryption I can bypass that and it would piss me off if they throttle NNTP now.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I always maxout using SSL, havent even tried it without encryption