Thread: Has there been a true replacement for AudioGalaxy?

Urgent

I know it is retro but when I used this six years ago it was out of this world for the amount of content it provided for music. I really liked it because I could find out non-mainstream artists more easily on there than Kazaa or WinMX. I used to use allmusic.com to look for new artists browsing sub-genres of rock and look at the similar artists section. Then I typed in the name into AudioGalaxy and tried them out.

I'm a regular reader of Powerplay magazine for non-mainstream rock music and it's difficult to sample some artists featured on there because they're hardly on any network. Would be nice if the magazine had one song from some of the best reviewed albums that feature in the edition.

What is the nearest replacement in your opinion? I am currently using Soulseek and it has come up with some decent finds but it appears my inexperience has contributed to seeing "Remote: Banned" as the status for some song requests.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    Quote Originally Posted by the View Post
    I know it is retro but when I used this six years ago it was out of this world for the amount of content it provided for music. I really liked it because I could find out non-mainstream artists more easily on there than Kazaa or WinMX. I used to use allmusic.com to look for new artists browsing sub-genres of rock and look at the similar artists section. Then I typed in the name into AudioGalaxy and tried them out.

I'm a regular reader of Powerplay magazine for non-mainstream rock music and it's difficult to sample some artists featured on there because they're hardly on any network. Would be nice if the magazine had one song from some of the best reviewed albums that feature in the edition.

What is the nearest replacement in your opinion? I am currently using Soulseek and it has come up with some decent finds but it appears my inexperience has contributed to seeing "Remote: Banned" as the status for some song requests.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
    for soulseek you need to share also. thast means you need to specify a share directory.

soulseek is good for rare stuff.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Yeah that may or may not have been the reason as to why some users banned me. All the years I've used torrents (since you upload as soon as you download) and no other method seemed to have done me in there. I did have another folder of music I had from my ripped CDs so I used that. I have heard of some users being banned on there because their music library isn't up to the standards of the other user etc.

Did some tweaking and I'm getting results. Hopefully the wishlist feature will help get the really rare stuff to save me from constantly searching for it.

Edit: I'm sharing over 1GB of music and still get banned. It's not much but I have only just got started. Wouldn't mind so much but this could deter people from using the network.
    Last edited by the; 09-02-2008 at 04:59 AM.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I don't share just my music on it, I share everything that I have downloaded onto my computer(there are people download other stuff besides music on there, you'll be surprised). It's quite a bit of content. And no user has ever banned me. So maybe try that?