Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seedbox Noob Question

BANNED BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Hi everyone,

So I'm thinking of getting a seedbox... I know NOTHING about them so I might be asking very stupid questions.

When I get a seedbox, can I just buy a seedbox and use it or do I need a dedicated server to go along with it?

With a seedbox from OvH, the cheapest one for example 45EUR/mo, I can use it to seed/upload torrents but can I also use it (or instead of) for hosting an online radio station?

So if I can find unmetered 100mbit seedboxes for 45EUR why are unmetered dedicated servers like 250EUR/mo? What does a dedicated server have that a seedbox doesn't? I don't understand please help

Thanks.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    OVH doesn't offer seedboxes, they offer dedicated servers. The quality of bandwidth is different for other server companies with unmetered bandwidth. For torrent usage, OVH is good enough.

I'm going to assume you're looking at seedhost.eu. I suggest getting a dedicated server instead of the seedbox; it's the same price, and it's full control of a Windows server, and you'll also be able to use it for hosting your SHOUTCast or whatever.

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Hi,

If you speak about hey have never answered to my questions by email... But a seedbox "offer" is a seedbox (webUI + FTP accesses), not a dedicated server with full rights on it to do want you want. Seedhost seems to sells the two kind of offers at 45€. One seems a seedbox with 1 user on the server and full root access for other activies, other is the same server but with full right and no other thing than the OS on it (you have to setup your seedbox).

So if I can find unmetered 100mbit seedboxes for 45EUR why are unmetered dedicated servers like 250EUR/mo? What does a dedicated server have that a seedbox doesn't? I don't understand please help
    Because the price depends of many things : hardware power of your server (cpu, ram, hdd, raid..), speed of assistance in a case of pbs, "prority" of your server on the hoster network, ability to keep a good speed for long distance connections (us / europe for example). It's a difference between a "low cost" and a "professional" service like all other things. OVH are cheap but you have to know you won't have same service than a "pro offer" (read the discussion about the "nosla" capping for example).
    Last edited by Valoo; 08-31-2008 at 02:05 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Thanks for the replies...

I decided to go with SeedHost.eu and I chose their 45EUR/mo dedicated server package with Windows 2003.

I think this will let me do what I want and anything else that I may decide to do in the future.

Thanks again everyone!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    dont forget to use "filezilla ftp server" (dont use serv-u; its just a resource hog), as well as a multithreaded ftp client... such as "3d-ftp" which someone suggested to me.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    dont forget to use "filezilla ftp server" (dont use serv-u; its just a resource hog), as well as a multithreaded ftp client... such as "3d-ftp" which someone suggested to me.
    The filezilla client is multithreaded, you can simply select the number of simultaneous connections from options within the client.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    bammers's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by augman000 View Post
    Thanks for the replies...

I decided to go with SeedHost.eu and I chose their 45EUR/mo dedicated server package with Windows 2003.

I think this will let me do what I want and anything else that I may decide to do in the future.

Thanks again everyone!

You should find that seedhost.eu is fine - their the same guys I use - there service is great for us people outside the purchase zone for OVH!
    Last edited by bammers; 08-31-2008 at 09:09 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    And when and if I ever get an FTP going I'll be sure to allow people here the first chance to get in

Thanks again!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by augman000 View Post
    And when and if I ever get an FTP going I'll be sure to allow people here the first chance to get in

Thanks again!
    coooollll

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Boutros's Avatar Poser BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    The filezilla client is multithreaded, you can simply select the number of simultaneous connections from options within the client.
    But the max is 10 correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast