Thread: Massive police raids on suspected protestors in Minneapolis

LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    ST. PAUL, Minn. — On the weekend before the Republican National Convention, law enforcement agencies detained dozens of people and issued a series of search warrants aimed at groups believed to be organizing demonstrations while delegates and Republican officials are in town.
    More-
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/us...PQ&oref=slogin

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwa...ids/index.html

I didn't hear about this at all until just a few minutes ago, I'm surprised this wasn't plastered all over the front page. The excuse they used to detain them was fire code violations, I wonder how they got the warrant though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    That sounds pretty reasonable to me, I'm sure it wouldn't be very nice for all the Republican party members to have to see this rabble protesting outside their conference.

When America implements Sharia law, they'll all appreciate how leniently they have been dealt with this time around.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by rejectOfAllah View Post
    That sounds pretty reasonable to me, I'm sure it wouldn't be very nice for all the Republican party members to have to see this rabble protesting outside their conference.

When America implements Sharia law, they'll all appreciate how leniently they have been dealt with this time around.

We'll all be well dead before that ever happens, and you will have found that horseshit about virgins in the afterlife to be false.

The way I hear it, you'll actually be set upon by all your dead gay family members.

Nothing at all against gays, BTW.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #4
    I watched the footage today.

Idiots smashing windows, slashing tires, and destroying property, much of this while wearing masks.

"Suspected" protestors?

Nah.

They were doing it in plain sight.

Raids?

In the middle of the street?

You really need to be more accurate.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #5
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Idiots smashing windows, slashing tires, and destroying property, much of this while wearing masks.

"Suspected" protestors?

Nah.

Raids?

These raids took place before the convention

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

"Suspected" protestors?

Nah.

Raids?

These raids took place before the convention

So:

Obama attracts 80K of the faithful to Invesco field, and people are upset that the Ramsey County Sheriff and the local gendarmes took down a few dozen locals who are rumored to be planning stuff, so as to present a pretty picture for the TV?

I have a very fresh memory of a fairly widely reported story of large cages erected in a Denver warehouse to house several hundred protesters, so it appears authorities in both cities are of similar mind when (un)civil disobedience is contemplated.

Can't have the yokels playing tag amongst the pillars, don't you know.

-Mark Twain