Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem formatting Windows XP SP2

yeah i'm thinking your dvd drive is dying on you..try another one

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Before you go any further, put the drive in another machine (using either a 2.5" external case or a 3.5" adapter) and save your data. If the drive is failing you may get away with that before it fails completely. You can also recreate and format the partition to decide whether the drive is faulty.
    Yes I might have to do that soon.

Anyway I'm running the latest Ubuntu now.

Fast and swift as a feather.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    What often helps is first try chkdsk /r normally I do that with the windows disk. The option appears on the same page as " install" windows..you should choose the option "R.' Then it will ask you which windows installation you wish to repair; more often than not there is only 1, then you tick 1 into the window
    Then it will ask you for the admin password. I never set one..so I only have to press enter..then windows will attempt to repair the disk. more often than not this will solve your problem. This can take up to an hour depending on your processor and the number of programs installed
    It might also be a good idea before you try all that to remove first the internal battery and short circuit the CMOS.( Don't forget to return or replace it with a new battery; many problems can be sorted with a simple lithium battery replacement) Set the computer to boot from CD too. Good luck VillageShaman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123