Thread: Is There Anyway..

I have sbc yahoo dsl and I have XP(thanks livy for helping me out with that a few months ago) and connect to the internet using that pppoe thing or w/e you call it. My friend has the same exact service with the same exact modem and he can download things at up to 500kb/sec whereas I can only reach a max speed of around 100-120kb/sec. Is there anyway to speed it up, and if so, where and what can I download for it and will it fry my computer? Lol, sorry to ask so many questions but the current speeds aren't suiting me, lol. Thanks in advance!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Whats your rated connection speed? if u r on the 'up to 1.5Mbps' connection then about 180KB/s is about the max u can expect. To find out your maximum download speed try this website: http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bandwidth.asp
    Unless your friend is on the business package which goes up to 6Mbps, then one way or another he is not really getting 500KB/s
    Theres some other threads in this section about misreporting of download speeds, (try the search) and to get the most out of your connection make sure u've read the info in the faq and tips sections of the board.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    when it connects it says 'SBC Global is Connected at 10/100mbps' and in the status window it also says the connection speed is 100mbps like below(screen cap)

I just did that bandwidth test thing found with the link you posted and my result was 136 Kb/s as the upload speed

I don't really know much about this stuff, lol, but I have been to my friend's house and seen how fast it's downloaded files, maybe he does have the business package or something.. I'll call in a bit and ask, thanks though ^_^

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I can only assume from your description that you have an external dsl modem which you connect to via ethernet. So the connection on your machine appears as 100mbps, but that is only as far as the modem. After that the modem speed is the limiting factor, and without knowing the model it is unlikely anyone can tell you how to find out the dsl speed.
    You could always look at the contract documents to see what you are signed up for.

Btw, that test doesn't seem to be too accurate, it reports my d/l speed as being about 244kbps and my u/l speed as 225kbps, but when downloading I regularly get in excess of 60KB/s down and 30KB/s up, equivalent to 480kbps down and 240kbps up. It may be more accurate in the US, where it is based.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ooo.. *lifts up the modem and reads the bottom*

' Efficient Networks SpeedStrem 5360
    Ethernet ADSL Modem'

I think that's the name of it, lol, I'm not very smart when it comes to computer parts, only designing and scripting of sites, loll

I took that test and it said my download speed was 629kbps and my upload was 225kbps, I don't get this.. at all, lol, oh well *shrugs* I used some tcp optimizer program I found at Lamsey's site and it increased my download speed to like 136kb and it actually stayed that fast for about four seconds so that's neato in my opinion, lol. If there is any way to make it faster I'm here and willing to listen/learn, lol, thanks again!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is that 136kb(bits) or is it actually 136KB (bytes) per second, the latter is 8 times the former. Assuming that it is 136KB, that is a d/l speed of 1088 kbps (as opposed to the test which tells you 629kbps, I said it wasn't too eccurate) which sounds like a megabit adsl connection (probably 1Mbps down, 256kbps up).

On the other hand if it really is 136kb(bits) per second, that is nowhere near what the test tells you your line is capable of, so your download is being restricted by the rate at which others are uploading to you and there's nothing you can do about that apart from finding other sources.

Edit: just realised I didn't actually answer your question, the only way to get faster dsl speeds is to pay your ISP for a faster link, always assuming they offer one.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.