Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Usenet vs. Rapidshare

Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Since there's a newsgroups vs. bittorrent thread, I thought I would create this.

Usenet is my preferred method of getting files, since you don't have to deal with any of the bull shit that comes with using bittorrent. But I've been looking into Rapidshare a lot since it looks very similar to Usenet. Only a little cheaper. It seems a monthly Rapidshare account is a little cheaper than a monthly Usenet account. And the content looks as abundant as what's on newsgroups. And the speeds are the same? You'll max out your connection? And the level of security seems the same too.

So would the people that is using both methods, or has used both methods, please be kind enough to tell me the pro's and con's of RS over Usenet? And which RS account would be the best to get?

Thanks.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    On Rapidshare you can find really old stuff and the speeds are amazing. But you need to look for good forums that point to the stuff you are looking for. I have found stuff on Rapidshare that I have not found on usenet or on torrent trackers. I think Rapidshare does involve a little more work when it comes to getting the files. Usenet is basically as simple as searching for the stuff and downloading it right from your usenet client.

I think if you have access to the right forums you can find just about anything on you want on rapidshare. I would still go for Usenet though because it's so easy to use and to find stuff. There is just so much content on usenet as well.

You can get usenet for as cheap as $10-11 a month. That's not bad at all. I use mostly usenet, then torrents and rapidshare.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thank you for the info saulin. I'm mostly looking at the Rapidshare forums that have been mentioned in this section. Such as Puzo, Warez-BB, etc.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    sheriff 01's Avatar Safety First! BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    i agree usenet is very good but have to use 0 day trackers for scene releases.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    #Palestinian#'s Avatar Assistant.......
    well , i never use usenet but i think saulin has said a very important point which is u can find old stuff on RS which aren't found anywhere else and let me add something else , RS has many rare files and a very good pre time if u find the good forums which have plenty of RS links on it..

i was lookin hard for sites provide medical stuff and english materials but i can hardly find few , so if u have any suggestion i will really aprecaite .

Thanks for this usefull thread

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I've also heard that RS has a lot of rare stuff. But frankly, everything I've looked for so far has been on Usenet. I guess I haven't needed anything really rare or obscure yet.

I'm mainly thinking of switching to RS because it looks like it has everything Usenet has, plus some, and it's a little cheaper. I'm not sure if I'm right about this, but it looks like it's around five bucks a month for a premium rapid share account. Is this true? EDIT: Nah, actually a premium account for a month is 6.99 euro. Which is a little over ten dollars. So that's about the same of an Astraweb account. But...a year premium RS account is about eighty dollars. Which is cheaper than a years worth of an Astraweb subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by sheriff 01 View Post
    i agree usenet is very good but have to use 0 day trackers for scene releases.
    No you don't.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 09-01-2008 at 07:51 PM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    DylanDog's Avatar I am your God
    I never understood the urge for indirect downloads and file hosters, they just made the sharing scene more stupid + they earn money >.>

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Well if you look back when everything was hosted on free web hosting servers like xoom, geocities and others as well as on public ftps and things would get deleted within hours. I think that was stupid back then. Usenet has been around for a while and has always made things simple and easy. Rapidshare and other hosting companies see a lot of demand for hosting space and they also take advantage of it and because they make so much money we can downlaod at very fast speeds because they got fast servers and things don't get deleted for a long time either.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    DylanDog's Avatar I am your God
    Stuff was deleted because it was on public anonymous FTP and because n00bs didnt know how to properly lock those directories, we have RS deletion, because users report shared links, usenet has no problems with that, which is a big plus

DD

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    i just started using rapidshare over torrents and found that rapidshare is more secure than torrents and they have the same things as torrents,you just have to look and find the sites that are rapidshare sharing sites. plus with rapidshare you get the movies as fast as ur connection is,you dont have to worry about if the person is seeding or not.

only thing is on rapidshare you gotta pay a fiver monthly or go with the yearly cost,but thats still good for getn ur content fast and secure. i dont mind payn the little cost a month for getn hundreds of dollars worth of content. i only tried usenet once and didnt get it lol

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast