Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: should tracker staff get paid?

kukushka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    hahaha, nice post to Brandon )))

anyway, it is very simple ) should or not should - who cares.. there is natural balance.. everybody is doing what they can and getting what they want.. if staff is okay to work and being satisfied without any money - so no problem.. if not - okay, pay them money until your tracker goes bankrupt.. can't see no philosophy here, it's just a kind of business, and you have to find a balance for the business to stay alive.. not only money, of course...

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    anyway, what kind of remuneration are we talking about, maybe 20$ each a month maximum? unless a site manage to get a couple 1000$ each month with pay2leech. But this isn't exactly a model we like to see

Considering the legal troubles it could bring, don't think it's worth it at all

but paying fst staff is a must, still waiting for my paycheck

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
    anyway, what kind of remuneration are we talking about, maybe 20$ each a month maximum? unless a site manage to get a couple 1000$ each month with pay2leech. But this isn't exactly a model we like to see

Considering the legal troubles it could bring, don't think it's worth it at all

but paying fst staff is a must, still waiting for my paycheck

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    In all honesty, i feel really guilty that i cant pay my staff, and not even $20 a week, thats not to say that if they are ever in the shit i wont help them out if i can.

1: a couple of years ago one of my coders got made unemployed, 6 months later he owed his ISP 6 months connection, they just did not get in touch with him for those 6 months, well as you can guess, they did give him a phone call and said pay it or else. Well he is one of my coders ffs, if he does not have the internet, most of the work on the site does not get done, so i helped him out.

2: Another staffer, his grandma died 2000 miles away and he could not afford the plane fare to go to her funeral, he also had to go to the dentist and that was going to cost him a fortune, so i helped him out a little, I didnt give either of these 1000`s but i did help them out a little, then when all the shit blew up last year, this one turned it against me, saying he should not have accepted it, it was wrong for him to accept it and made me out to be a right git.

well i did just do it to help him out, i didnt want anything out of it, so since then i have not helped anyone out, mind you i cant bloody afford to.

you would think that with 50,000 members i would be rolling in the cash, and the media would probably say i was if i ever got caught because they are bastards like that, but i dont. about 0.5% of my memberbase donate, which equates to 250 members, now you may think 250*5 = 1250 very nice, but most of those just donate 1pence or 10pence or £1.

but as long as i can pay for the servers every month im happy.
    Last edited by stoi; 09-02-2008 at 02:23 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Eargasm's Avatar Whoa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I'm a member of several trackers and I try to donate to the ones that I think need the money. I know of a couple where the founding admins have to dig into their pockets at the end of the month - and they don't complain. That is dedication considering that the admin is usually putting in the most time and risk as well.

Tracker staff earning money? I think this is a joke at the moment as most trackers are run on a purely volunteer basis. Back in the day you didn't get paid for setting up a BBS. It was done for the fun of it. Then everyone who did it made money later on because the skills they learned are useful in real world settings. It's just too bad you can't put this kind of stuff on a resume.

There are perks though to being a staff. Some funky recognition, being able to modify and improve your site, etc. For some it's being able to smack down people on the forums - get that little power trip. Regardless, it's all part of a collective effort and an awesome hobby to boot.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Poster
    No. This is downright wrong. The only good staff do their work for free. Those that want any reimbursement should fuck off.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    horiZen's Avatar >>SSL ENCRYPTED<<
    Quote Originally Posted by _coder_ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    all donations should first go to server cost and keeping the site running. If there is anything left over after a month then maybe but it would probably be smarter to keep that leftover money in case the next month doesnt go quite as well. Bottom line is if you cant pay to keep the site running then there wont be any staff.
    unlike trackers like ftn where they get double the amount of donations every month. The amount of donations ftn gets is fuking crazy and this is not just once of twice it happens nearly every single month.

Brandon you cunt.
    lol,,you want a slice of the pie as well then
    Last edited by horiZen; 09-02-2008 at 04:47 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    If there is excess funding left over after all bills paid, then reimbursement of any previous costs incurred by owners setting it all up many months ago is not a prob.

If the donations improve, then sure, better equipment and a site seedbox, or 2, could be justified.

What I find distasteful is making a killing out of it, or a living out of it even, as "perks of the job", however, what could be argued is that usenet server staff get paid, and very well and legitimately, why therefore shouldn't BT server staff, same thing right? Just files on the interwebz being downloaded by users, it's just their choice where they get them files from.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    BANNED BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by _coder_ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aysomc View Post
    all donations should first go to server cost and keeping the site running. if there is anything left over after a month then maybe but it would probably be smarter to keep that leftover money in case the next month doesnt go quite as well. bottom line is if you cant pay to keep the site running then there wont be any staff.
    Unlike trackers like FTN where they get double the amount of donations EVERY month. The amount of donations FTN gets is fuking crazy and this is not just once of twice it happens nearly every single month.

Brandon you cunt.
    1) The current server bills are fairly low because they use a pretty weak server. Also they plan on upgrading the servers soon, because the current one is inadequate for desired growth.
    2) The donation bar just increased this month to account for the future plans of a new server and it hit a little over 10% beyond what is needed. No more doubling I guess.
    3) Maybe the fact that FTN receives more in donations is simply a positive reflection on how great the site is and how the small but active group of members really think the site is worth their support.
    4) Brandon is the man. We all <3 him.

Oh hai guys, I iz new here, can I haz some wub?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    spybot229's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    No, it would change the motivation of the staff and you would get people being there for the wrong reasons.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast