Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seedbox what and how?

Poster BT Rep: +1
    What is a Dedicated Server?

A dedicated hosting service, dedicated server, or managed hosting service is a type of Internet hosting where the client leases an entire server not shared with anyone.

What is a Seedbox?

It is a bittorrent terminology for a dedicated server that is used to upload and download torrents. Seedboxes are usually purchased by uploaders and torrent communities to get the latest content at high speeds.

How do I use the dedicated server/seedbox?

A Dedicated Server/Seedbox is very simple to use, once you have purchased and fully paid for the dedicated server/seedbox, the service provider will send you the following:
    - The Server IP Address
    - The Server Username
    - The Server Password

Using these things you can log on to your server using remote desktop.

You can download RDP at: Download Here
    (Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is a multi-channel protocol that allows a user to connect to a computer running Microsoft Terminal Services.) You can access remote desktop on your Windows PC by going to:

1. On your home computer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Accessories.
    2. In the Accessories menu, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.

Then type the IP Address for the Server provided by the Hosting company, click connect and you will be taken to a log in screen, similar to the OS the server is running. Log in and that is it, you now have access to your server.

If you purchase a linux server, remember that there is no remote desktop on linux. In that case you have to login to your server via webadmin interface where the service provider will give you a web login to enter to your server control panel. If you wish to execute/install applications on your linux box, you need to use a SSH client such as PUTTY: Download Here and you can access your folders (create, delete, move, copy, paste) using ftp client in order to upload/download materials to/from your dedicated server.

Hosting Companies

DEDICATED SERVERS/SEEDBOXES

The Following are my Top 5 Choices for Best Dedicated Servers.

Number 5: Shinjiru

Offshore dedicated Hosting, these servers get great speeds, but not lately due to the natural disaster in Taiwan, so for the next couple weeks connection to North America wont be as good. But once repaired this server is one of the best ive used. Especially Since its hosted in Malaysia were there are no Copyright Laws big_smile

If you want a reliable cheap server with peace of mind from police, etc Then Shinjiru is for you.

Link: click Here

Server: 3/5
    Network: 2.5/5 (normally superb speeds)

Number 4: Vectoral.Info

I personally havent used this company, but i have heard nothing but great things from them. They too offer cheap, reliable servers at competitive prices.

Server: 3.5/5
    Network: 3.5/5

Number 3: L A Y E R E D T E C H

Hmm, layered tech one of the best server that i have ever used, i dont think there was a time i didnt max out my speed, with their 100Mbit i could easily reach 11-12 mb/s. They have a great turn around time, i got my server in less than 5, 6 hours.

Server: 4.5/5
    Network: 5/5

Number 2: S O F T L A Y E R

This is probably one of the best server that i have ever used, Softlayer is the best of the best, nothing more to say, maxed out connections 24/7. Note Softlayer is the most expensive server ive purchased only because i upgraded to a higher bandwidth and network speed. You have got to purchase one to know how amazing their server and network is, the speeds are phenomenal and the service is phenomenal. This is why ScT, FTN, FSC, all Top site uploaders and torrent sites purchase SoftLayer, because your getting what you paid for.

Server: 5/5
    Network: 5/5

Number 1: L E A S E W E B

This is the best hosting company, why else would torrent sites such as TL and SCC host there. They provide excellent support and excellent dedicated Server service. They have top-notch servers with one of the best network, you will get great speeds no matter what.

Server 5/5
    Network 5/5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dediboxes

What is a dedibox?

A dedibox(s) are dedicated server that are hosted by Dedibox.fr. Dediboxes are dedicated servers that you have root access to but the network on which it is connected is shared. Dediboxes are connected to a supposed 300Gbit network, but due to the many subscribers, dediboxes which are advertised as 100Mbit Unmetered will only guarantee you 30Mbit Unmetered. The only time users report reaching 100Mbit Speeds is while connection to another user on the dedibox network.

Dedibox.fr Resellers/Affiliates:
    Dediboxinternational.com
    Giga-International.com
    BestofData.com

(there are more, but these are the main resellers/affiliates)

Dedibox.fr

» CPU VIA 2Ghz - 1024 MB RAM - Hard drive with a 160 GB capacity
    » 100Mbit/Sec unmetered bandwidth.
    » Several Operating systems available (Ubuntu-Server, Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse 10.1, Mandriva, Gentoo 2006, CentOS 4.2, Slackware 10.2, FreeBsd, NetBsd, OpenBsd)
    » Some desktop software (Ubuntu-Desktop Dapper, Kubuntu-Desktop Dapper, Xubuntu-Desktop Dapper)
    » Unlimited technical support
    » Remote manager
    » 5Go Security Backup
    » Own Server Monitoring
    » automatic material diagnosis
    » Rescue system

29.99 € /Month

Dediboxinternational.com

» CPU VIA 2Ghz - 1024 MB RAM - Hard drive with a 160 GB capacity
    » 100Mbit/Sec unmetered bandwidth.
    » Several Operating systems available (Ubuntu-Server, Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse 10.1, Mandriva, Gentoo 2006, CentOS 4.2, Slackware 10.2, FreeBsd, NetBsd, OpenBsd)
    » Some desktop software (Ubuntu-Desktop Dapper, Kubuntu-Desktop Dapper, Xubuntu-Desktop Dapper)
    » Unlimited technical support
    » Remote manager
    » 5Go Security Backup
    » Own Server Monitoring
    » automatic material diagnosis
    » Rescue system
    45.00 €/Month *Note Price Changes Often

Giga-International.com

They advertise I Quote "All dedicated servers rented by our customers are located in the high-tech-metropolis Frankfurt, Germany." But after talking with a customer one selection of their servers are infact hosted in France, even while uploading and downloading a torrent their host name is shown as Dedibox.fr.

Dedicated Server M

Hard disk: 80 GB
    CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz
    RAM: 1024 MB
    Traffic: UNLIMITED

Price: 59.99 EUR / month

-------------------------

Dedicated Server L eco

Hard disk: 160 GB
    CPU: AMD Athlon64 3800+

Price: 64.99 EUR / month

Dedicated Server L

Hard disk: 160 GB
    CPU: P4 3 Ghz HT Technology

Price: 69.99 EUR / month

Dedicated Server XL

Hard disk: 250 GB
    CPU: P4 3 Ghz HT Technology
    RAM: 2048 MB

Price: 79.99 EUR / month

Dedicated Server XXL

Hard disk: 500 (2 x 250) GB
    CPU: 6.0 Ghz Intel Xeon (2 x 3.0 Ghz)
    RAM: ECC 4096 MB

Price: 149.99 EUR / month

Bestofdata.com

GENERAL INFOS:
    Processor: VIA C7 2.0 GHZ
    Disk space: 160GB SATA2
    RAM: 1GB DDR2 400MHZ
    Bandwidth: 100Mbps Unmetered
    Managed: NO

PLAN PRICES:
    Monthly - : $59.95
    No hidden costs, No setup fees, Free support
    30 Minute activation (When servers are in stock)
    Windows Server 2003 Web Edition: $20 / month
    Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition: $30 / month
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition: $45 / month
    DirectAdmin control panel available for Debian, CentOS & Fedora: $14 / month
    Additional HDD, RAID0 or RAID1 (Debian & Ubuntu only): $20 / month

ADDITIONAL DETAILS
    Full Root access.
    2 free OS reloads per a month.
    Rescue mode (A small network OS where you can make changes to the partition, OS, etc...)
    Automatic reboots via web interface.
    Web MRTG.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******************
    Note: For all Dediboxes, fee apply if you want to run a Windows OS, they only provide linux OS free.

Also note that these Dediboxes are not that strict about running torrents, but if they catch you due to excessive use or abuse of bandwidth they will close your dedibox without refund.

Dediboxes also have random checks and police raids.

Ive Had Dediboxinternationa, Bestofdata, GigaInternational and Dedihostplus, if you enable encryption and keep the bw below 3TB a month it gives you a better chance under to keep under the radar.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************

Let us talk about torrent clients now.

If your purchased server is windows based, then you can just remote desktop it and use utorrent/azureus/other bittorrent clients. Easy...

For linux users, you need to install Torrentflux which can be found Here

HOW TO INSTALL TORRENTFLUX

N ORDER TO EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS YOU NEED PUTTY
    1. open putty
    2. under "Host name (or ip address)" type the ip address provided by the dedicated box provider.
    3. press ENTER
    4. you will be asked to enter your LOGIN NAME and PASSWORD, after that press enter and you are in...

TorrentFlux is a PHP based torrent client that runs on a web server, allowing you to manage your downloads through a web interface from anywhere. It's based on BitTornado and requires a functional LAMP server in order to run properly. Once having it installed, you'll be able to add, remove and/or manage torrents and their settings through a web browser. NOTE! If your Linux system already has a functional Apache + MySQL suite already installed, you can skip this step. Otherwise, this guide will allow you to have TorrentFlux installed with XAMPP.

Install XAMPP

XAMPP is a very easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP, Perl and ProFTPD. To install it, you have to:

- Download the latest version of XAMPP from Softpedia - Click here

Extract the packages and move them to the appropriate directories:

- Secure your XAMPP installation. Type:

- Answers you'll need to type:

- Start Apache and MySQL:

Install TorrentFlux

NOTE1: If you already have Apache, PHP and MySQL installed and skipped the "Install XAMPP" step, you should remove the /opt/lampp/bin/ target from ALL the commands. For instance:
    # /opt/lampp/bin/mysqladmin -uroot -p create torrentflux
    becomes:
    # mysqladmin -uroot -p create torrentflux

NOTE2: If you already have Apache, PHP and MySQL installed, the PHP configuration file could be unsuitable for TorrentFlux. Check the /etc/php.ini file if the following directives are correctly set:

NOTE 3: If you're running FEDORA CORE, you must disable SELinux: Open /etc/selinux/config and replace the line:

SELINUX=enforcing
    with
    SELINUX=disabled

and reboot your computer.

- Download the latest version of TorrentFlux

- Extract and move it to the appropriate directory:

Create a database for torrentflux and load the sql script in it.

- Edit /opt/lampp/htdocs/tf/config.php file and specify the MySQL ROOT password in the db_pass directive. The rest shouldn't need to be edited.

- Open a browser and go to http://your.linux.ip.address/tf. The first time you access TorrentFlux, you will be prompted for a user and password, this will be used to set the SUPERADMIN user and password by what you enter. If you enter username "admin" and password "nimda", you will be able to access the application later by using this login information. Enjoy!

Hope this helps someone

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #2
    cuck's Avatar Appz.FAN BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Big 10x for this tutorial .

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #3
    Great work on this guide Dr.FST(=

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    many thanks mate great work

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #5
    Poster
    Thanks for the tutorial,it helped me.

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #6
    Most of theses websites looks dead now. I searched on Google and find a dedibox reseller called Dedibox.NET

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #7
    For me, the best is OVH.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #8
    Expeto's Avatar current user title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.FST View Post

SELINUX=enforcing
    with
    SELINUX=disabled
    You should add a warning about this.
    Disabling the state of the art security policy of the fedora is not a good idea.

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #9
    BANNED
    Thank you so much for this info....really helpful material here...

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #10
    bigdaddydude's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I had no idea about seedboxes until I read this review, thanks alot!
    It's best to help your friends and be honest instead of burning bridges. There's alot more to life than being a member of the best private tracker. I'm proud to be part of the best community there has ever been.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast