Thread: How to become connectable

Poster BT Rep: +1
    How to become connectable

In a nutshell, if you're not connectable, it means that you can't seed or leech from anyone else who isn't connectable. Obviously this can greatly effect your effectiveness on site and becoming connectable can help you with your ratio... To become connectable, you need to make sure that all your firewalls are set up to allow your torrents through to your clients. This means you will need to unblock any and all of these that apply to you, depending on what hardware and software you run.

Let us begin!

Which port?:

The first thing we need to do is to find out which port our client is running on, this is easy enough in most but I'll find a guide for each of the whitelisted clients anyways.

For the www.portforward.com guides, ignore everything after the part that tells you how to find the port, its for a random router, not yours.

ABC 3.1 - Guide here, ignore Belkin stuff for now
    Azureus 3.0.x - Guide here, ignore Belkin stuff for now
    BitTornado 0.3.x - Guide here, ignore Belkin stuff for now
    btgdaemon 0.9.6 - Cant find, if anyone can write / find one, pm me with a link and ill add it
    btpd 0.13 - Cant find, if anyone can write / find one, pm me with a link and ill add it
    cTorrent 3.X - Single torrent program, whatever you started it with
    Deluge 0.5.x - Click on "Preferences", then go to the "Network" tab, remember the entire range given
    Halite 0.2.9.x - Cant find, if anyone can write / find one, pm me with a link and ill add it
    KTorrent 2.2.x - Go to settings in the menu bar, then click "Configure Ktorrent", the port number is in the middle of the page.
    libtorrent 0.x - If using rtorrent, type `cat ~/.rtorrent.rc | grep port_range` to find out or look at the bottom of a running window
    Transmission 0.9.6 - Click "Preferences", the port is under "Listening port"
    uTorrent 1.8.x - Guide here, ignore Belkin stuff for now

Now lets get opening some ports!

Router:

The main firewall people seem to have trouble with is if you are running a wireless router, which is odd cause they are all pretty much the same and www.portforward.com knows them all.

First things first we need to find our local IP address, this differs depending on your OS but is pretty simple:

Windows: Start --> run --> type "cmd". Next type `ipconfig` into the prompt, your ip is on the line starting with "IP address", crazy I know.

*nix and Mac users, open a terminal and as root (or through sudo) type `ifconfig`, then pick the correct interface and your ip is labelled "inet addr".

Next we take a trip to This page, next you find your router and click on the link where at the end of the paragraph it should say:

Code:
    If you do not see the program you are forwarding ports for, be sure to visit our Default Guide for this router
    Do so now by clicking on the word default.
    Next we simply find our router make and model, follow the link and voila, a ready made guide that we made earlier just for you!
    Simply follow the instructions on this page to the letter, substituting your local IP and port number that we found earlier for the examples given, job done.

Windows firewall:

Windows firewall, if you use windows, will probably be on and blocking all your ports, to open them, just follow my lead:
    Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
    Make sure its either set to off or "On (reccommended)", allowing exceptions.
    Next go to the "Exceptions tab", Click add port, add it, press OK, Press OK again, done.

Norton Antivirus / Norton Personal Firewall:

Open Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall, Double-click Personal Firewall, Click the Program Control tab.
    You should see the list of Application rules.
    Click Add. You see the "Select a program" browse window, find and select the executable (.exe) for your client.
    Select "Permit", Select a catagory, click OK, done.

McAfee:

Open up the McAfee Security Center.
    Click Internet & Network which is located right in the middle of that window.
    To the right of the Internet & Network area click the configure link. Click the Firewall protection is enabled bar on the right side of this window.
    Click the Firewall protection is enabled bar on the right side of this window. Click the Program Permissions link in the menu on the left hand side of the window.
    Find your client in the Program Permissions list and click it to highlight it.
    McAfee does not allow you to determine exactly which ports BitTorrent uses. So you have to "Grant Full Access", which allows all traffic in and out of your computer your client.
    When you are done click the Ok button all the way back to the main menu.

And that ends our little tutorial for now, please feel free to comment, or meet on IRC for suggestions and additions.

Please do not contact me for more help than is already listed here, use the help forum for that!

Sites which can help
    ---------------------
    http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #2
    Thanks . I knew all this stuff before . Very useful for those who are not "Connectable"

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #3
    shganghui's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    It doesnt works when i use a router. it looks unstable for "connectable" .

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #4
    talkboy's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    thankss , didn't know some of these things

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #5
    Ugh, this is useless... set up a static IP too... this is all on portforward.com

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #6
    I think just as we update the tracker it gets connected. Personal experience!

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #7
    Poster
    Thanks.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Thanks... good for new ppl

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #9
    thanks for sharing but it didn't work in some cases ....like me with an internal server
    it closed all ports except that i used for surfing the net

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutela View Post
    Ugh, this is useless... set up a static IP too... this is all on portforward.com
    To become connectable, that is not necessary, not even setting up a static port.