Thread: Is Windows 2003 Any Good?

I can get hold of download copy should I give it ago or should i just stay with XP pro??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Windows 2003 is only really good as a server. If you want the best edition of it, a 3 in 1 copy can be found on Suprnova. Otherwise, stick wiv XP Pro.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yes stay with xp. I tried win 2003 and it slowed down fast after installing a few programs. It still has a few bugs and norton wont work with it.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Windows 2003 is a server OS. In other words, if you don&#39;t run your computer primarily as a SERVER or if you don&#39;t know what it means, don&#39;t install it.

Stick with XP or 2000.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Put it this way

its not much different from 200 server

also Im here to tell you it wont let you play games on it either

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Triadcool@3 September 2003 - 21:19
    Yes stay with xp. I tried win 2003 and it slowed down fast after installing a few programs. It still has a few bugs and norton wont work with it.
    That has nothing to do with any bugs. Your computer just isnt fast enough to handle it. Even if you think your specs are good that may only pertain to a desktop. Check out my specs below. My mj-12 is specifically designed to run a server o.s.. However, I dont run any windows server o.s.. because I think redhat linux advanced server tops windows 2003 server. Nevertheless windows 2003 server is really not meant to be a desktop or workstation unless your specs can handle it.

If you feel you just have to make it an inconvience on yourself and your computer then I would suggest windows 2000 server and not 2003. Then you might be able to get away with using it as a desktop but I doubt it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Trust me, you wont even want to try to use it as a normal computer.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by shn+3 September 2003 - 23:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 3 September 2003 - 23:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Triadcool@3 September 2003 - 21:19
    That has nothing to do with any bugs. Your computer just isnt fast enough to handle it. Even if you think your specs are good that may only pertain to a desktop. Check out my specs below. My mj-12 is specifically designed to run a server o.s.. However, I dont run any windows server o.s.. because I think redhat linux advanced server tops windows 2003 server. Nevertheless windows 2003 server is really not meant to be a desktop or workstation unless your specs can handle it.

If you feel you just have to make it an inconvience on yourself and your computer then I would suggest windows 2000 server and not 2003. Then you might be able to get away with using it as a desktop but I doubt it. [/b][/quote]
    shn,

Veering slightly off topic, but...

What is a "server"?

A simple definition will suffice.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by clocker+3 September 2003 - 23:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 3 September 2003 - 23:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by shn@3 September 2003 - 23:07
    <!--QuoteBegin-Triadcool
    @3 September 2003 - 21:19

If you feel you just have to make it an inconvience on yourself and your computer then I would suggest windows 2000 server and not 2003. Then you might be able to get away with using it as a desktop but I doubt it.
    shn,

Veering slightly off topic, but...

What is a "server"?

A simple definition will suffice. [/b][/quote]
    A server is exactly what it sounds like it. It serves

In a windows sense, the primary server would be considered the domain controller. It allows users to log on remotely or locally to a domain. It can also provide services such as file and print sharing, ras (routing and remote access), web services, and not to mention the group policy settings that keep most users in their place and allow admins to do their job more efficiently without people abusing their privilges on a domain.

Its much more extensive than that though? I only explained the windows aspect of a server o.s., not linux its beyond the scope of this topic.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Thanks.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg