Thread: isoHunt Sues the CRIA to Legalize BitTorrent Sites

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "Following Demonoid and QuebecTorrent, the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA) has threatened isoHunt with legal action. However, isoHunt has decided to launch a preemptive strike, as it turns the tables and sues the CRIA instead."

"The CRIA is known for taking on BitTorrent sites. In the past year they have threatened Demonoid and other BitTorrent sites, and taken legal action against QuebecTorrent. Now, they have set their sights on isoHunt, one of the largest BitTorrent sites on the Internet, but this might just backfire.

In May 2008, isoHunt received a Cease and Desist letter from the CRIA, in which they demanded that isoHunt founder Gary Fung should take the site offline. If Fung didn’t comply, the CRIA said it would pursue legal action, and demand $20,000 for each sound recording the site has infringed.

A similar tactic worked against Demonoid, but the isoHunt founder didn’t back down so easily. “We have since tried to come to an understanding, but just as with the MPAA in the US, they ignored our offers of cooperation by the take down of .torrent links to their content files, so long as they provide sufficient identification,” Gary Fung told TorrentFreak."

Source: Full Article @ TorrentFreak
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    i lol'ed.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Very nice.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    nemrac's Avatar Getting my feet wet BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    Very interesting article. I'll sit back and see what happens. My guess is that the CRIA's deep pockets have a slight edge.

Nemrac

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    slymester's Avatar (""\(O.o)/"") BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Very interesting indeed. Sit back and enjoy the fireworks

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Hey guys im pretty new to this forum and i just had some legal questions about downloading torrents and off other p2p programs.

Is it legal in canada right now to download/upload as much as we want ? I read something a while back about the canadian government trying to implement a system where we will be fined $500 per download.

Also what is the CRIA is it similar to that of the american RIAA ?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by afterburn999 View Post
    Is it legal in canada right now to download/upload as much as we want ? I read something a while back about the canadian government trying to implement a system where we will be fined $500 per download.

Also what is the CRIA is it similar to that of the american RIAA ?
    The first question: What?

For the second one: Yes. The CRIA is the Canadian equivalent to the U.S.'s RIAA.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    The first question i meant is it still legal for us Canadians to still download movies/shows/etc off torrents ?

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Check copyrights.

I can watch The Colbert Report at Comedy Central.com for free, but I think it is also available on torrents. So...