Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dvd's Comming To An End?!~

Poster
    u no wat who cares coz when industries come up wit new teconoligy 2 increase they revinue (money) other people wit come up wit ways around it like hackers,crackers and so. they will never be able 2 make anythink foolprof coz there is always some1 dat is 1 step ahead

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    they would lose money if they did that. they aren't that stupid. everything revolves around money and they would make more money keeping dvds and vhs even with illegal downloading than doing this. they would have to make them very cheap.

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    The thing that will replace DVD's will be blue laser DVD's. 16 or so full length DVD Quality movie's will be able to be put on 1 disk.

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    stalin
    Lets see...
    Can go to local free parking multiplex and watch latest release for about 6GBP (thats about an hours pay, on avrg)

6 months later I could rent it frm BB for about 3.50GBP
    or buy it for 16 to 25 GBP (who the hell wants to buy these things? Howmany times you going to watch it?)

12 mnths (or maybe less) later for 3.50GBP I can watch it on my SKY box (VOD)

A little later I can go to my local library and hire it for a week for 1.50GBP to 2.50 GBP

Or within 5 years, if its any good, it will be on TV and watch it for zero margiinal cost

My local multiplex won't let me smoke or pause the film when I need to piss
    also I must find time for it
    Likewise with BB I got to get in the car TWICE within 24hrs

THIS FILM BETTER BE GOOD

Library great, 1.50, well if I do'nt see it I'll get it out again next week

SKY BOX- Bit of a pain, enter PIN etc wait a bit, macrovision so can't time shift it
    but no need for car keys, no need for parking, sort of can catch it again if the phone rings
    Used it twice, maybe 3 times
    DVD used > 10 times twice- BB twice!
    Multiplex, last went there it was 1990 something!!!

Spot a trend?

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Its a load of bullshit

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    Poster
    How is that going to prevent piracy?
    people will find ways to get those movies for free,
    you can copy it using tivo or a dvd-recorder,
    upload to irc or p2p networks,
    voila!
    piracy can never be stopped.

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I can't believe no one mentioned it, but:
    Even if they did switch to this method, wouldn't that require that you buy a TV capable of recieving the download stream??? Who in thier right mind would go out and spend another $3,000 on another 42" Flat screen tv, just so they can get a couple of movies.

I agree Blue laser DVD's "are the future." I have even "heard rumor" of a red laser DVD that could hold up to 200 full length DVD quality movies. That would definatly have my vote any day, screw spending all the $$ to get a new VOD compliant TV, and then spending $$ to download a movie.

This won't happen simply because people don't have the money to buy all that shit. Hell, the majority of use download them because we would rather preview a movie than waste $20 on a movie that we're going to hate.

If it ever does come to the point that this is going to happen, you guys can have it. I'm going to still be investing my money into the DVD industry.

EDIT: I heard mention as to this could control piracy... If this is true, then people would never need to go and sit in a theatre with a cam, and people would never need to encode them. They are already in a format ready for watching. It just makes piracy a whole lot easier...

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    A movie can flop in general release....BUT, at times makes more in VHS & DVD release. Now, would you cut off your arm to avoid ofthers from duping it? the dvd format has come along way and i dont think that the industry will abanden its cash COW...... anyhoo, if any other encriyption is introduced it will be cracked sooner or later....... I think things will stay the same for a long while.....

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    Originally posted by stalin@5 September 2003 - 18:06
    Library great, 1.50, well if I do'nt see it I'll get it out again next week
    lol, your libraries ain't free? wotta gyp.

public libraries in the u.s. charge nothing... but unfortunately (at many libraries) it means all the good videos are constantly lent out, so you have to find 'em in the catalogue and join a queue before you can get 'em.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123