Thread: I Need A New Asdl Modem/router.....

namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    I just installed Mandrake 9.1 on a HDD partition and I've gotta say it f'n rox!
    I'm slowly learning bits and bobs about Linux on the net but I have to keep on rebooting into XP to search the net (when I get stuck) cos my damn winmodem is not supported in Linux!

Can anyone recommend a good modem (USB or PCI) or router for my broadband connection?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You couldve installed linux on virtual machine or something, then u can still search and test it all

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    The best way is to install a network card and get an external ADSL modem. That way you can put a router in between the two items.

I have an Alcatel ADSL external modem and a Linksys 4 port router. Works perfectly.

Setup like that... If I install Linux, as soon as I bootup into linux (or any other OS for that matter) I'm automatically connected to the internet. No configuration needed in the OS.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    I would reccomend the Netgear DG814

Since you do not have to install it on ur machine ie it stands alone, as long as you can connect ur rj45 cable to it then it will work with most os's

all the configuration is done via a web based interface