Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amsterdam Tests Residential 1Gbps Fiber

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleMonger View Post
    So, why does all of Europe have better internet speeds than the United States? I wish I lived in Europe now... 1 Gbps to my house would rock .
    Well, from my understanding...

It all started with all countries having nothing, obviously.

Telephone became big in all countries (by all i mean the 'wealthy' ones).

Cable became big in north america while europe stuck to using the airwaves for television.
    So north america spent big money getting the country wired up on fibre for cable.

Europe never spent that much on laying fibre, so now that higher internet speeds are wanted they're spending big money on the latest fibre technology including running it right into the homes, same as verizon fios is doing in small areas of the US, because without it they're stuck with 'slow' DSL speeds from their telephone lines.

In North America they're not putting much money into the fibre systems because we already put a ton of money into our current, 'out-of-date' system.

In the future we'll probably upgrade and be far ahead of europe, then it will switch again. It's just a cycle.

That's my very basic understanding anyway.

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think that's certainly part of it, Ross but the other part is distance.
    Yurp has much higher population density than the US and less distance to span.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I think that's certainly part of it, Ross but the other part is distance.
    Yurp has much higher population density than the US and less distance to span.
    Yes that's also part of it but it shouldn't stop them from at least expanding into the denser areas like toronto, montreal, new york, etc.

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    Mogwai_'s Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedright View Post
    There is incredible the difference of the Internet development between the countries of the EU. Congratulations to all the citizens of Amsterdam
    Yeah true. I got 20Mbit down and I live in Belgium and we still got downloadlimits

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    Hero's Avatar ♥♥τοяяєητ ςαρταιη♥♥ BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    wow hope we can get it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12