Thread: Wondering if I'm being throttled(and VPN issues too:))

Poster
    I've just moved, got a new connection, and I'm a bit out in the middle of nowhere.
    I fired up utorrent and noticed crap speeds,(75-80k often dropping to 30) I had encryption enabled but not forced.
    I disabled it completely, and then all my trackers started timing out.

I'm paying extra for a decent connection, I assumed that it was just shit wiring around here, and that was that.

Recently I downloaded some updates for my system and was very surprised when my speeds hit 1.2mb/sec
    also as soon as I fire up utorrent my connection slows way down, even my web browser loads pages much slower despite the fact that utorrent is only using 75kb a second.

Am I being throttled or is there some issue with my setup, I'm used to 600k minimum speeds with the settings on my computer and a similar connection.
    The only difference here is I have no router.

I've also decided to try relakks again, but every time I try to connect I get an 800 error which tells me I need to upgrade my router, and goes on to mention that some cisco routers need updates to use it, I'm assuming it's my isp's system that is causing that error.

Would getting a router help to fix some of my problems and allow me to at least use relakks?

any suggestions for another VPN or solution would be good too.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    no longer on it... BT Rep: +3
    if you have all system checked, well can be traffic shaping... a question, do you use private or public trackers?

cheers
    Last edited by internazionale 1908; 09-15-2008 at 12:31 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    try using deluge with encryption at the max on your trackers. if you notice a significant increase in speed, then you are being throttled.

edit: azureus with RC4 might work too.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    encrypt all your traffic using ssl and download through socks protocol
    your-freedom offers a very good service for a nominal fee, if you have access to a live/open proxy this service will override any shaping protocol implemented by your ISP(including DLP7/sandvine shaping)

good luck

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    I use a mix of both, low speeds on both too

if I use a sock5 proxy in utorrent, should the speed after that be not throttled and therefore be a good indication?
    also, if I'm using a proxy, how do I update private trackers so they can follow it?
    I tried using a free socks5 proxy I found in google but TPB got all cranky on me and refused to update.
    Last edited by JGB; 09-20-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    Dreaming of falling into the EbookVortex.
    Hiding from the Non-fiction books.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    your-freedom will allow unrestricted speeds using a proxy(depending on what account you have, i have "unlimited package")

some proxy's however restrict their speeds so make sure the proxy you are using can handle the speed you require

do you connect to YF servers through your proxy? if you do, then use socks5 settings in utorrent(port 1080)
    I have a 10MB uplink and almost always max my connection using YF servers, my proxy does allow this though
    as far as trackers go, i've had no problems with stats updating or being connectable

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    I see, but how do the trackers relate your IP to the proxy, or do you use the proxy on both your browsing and everything?
    Dreaming of falling into the EbookVortex.
    Hiding from the Non-fiction books.