Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Wright: 1943-2008

lynx's Avatar .
    Founding Pink Floyd member Richard Wright has died at the age of 65. The keyboardist’s spokesman told the BBC Wright had been battling cancer for some time.

Wright co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with guitarist Syd Barrett, bassist Roger Waters and drummer Nick Mason. Though Wright sang lead on several early Pink Floyd compositions, his role was mostly supportive, coloring psychedelic epics like "Breathe," "Time, "Echoes" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond.” He also wrote or co-wrote a number of key Floyd tracks, including "The Great Gig in the Sky" and "Us and Them."

Wright found himself butting heads with Waters as the bassist increased his grip over the group and resigned as fulltime member of Pink Floyd while recording The Wall. He continued to tour with the group as a salaried backing musician through 1981, but does not appear on 1983’s The Final Cut. Wright rejoined the group fulltime in time to record 1987’s A Momentary Lapse of Reason, the first Pink Floyd record not to feature Waters. Under the leadership of Gilmour, Wright contributed heavily to latter day Floyd records like The Delicate Sound of Thunder and The Division Bell, as well as the live album P*U*L*S*E. In 2005, he reunited with Gilmour, Waters and Mason for a one-off Pink Floyd performance at Live 8.

Wright has released a handful of studio albums outside of Pink Floyd, including 1978’s Wet Dream and 1996’s Broken China, the latter of which features Sinéad O'Connor, among others. He also released a collaborative effort with Dave Fashion’s Harris under the moniker Zee in 1984. In addition, Wright appeared on Gilmour’s 2006 album On an Island and the album’s subsequent tour.

Only last week Gilmour made headlines by saying that “he never again take part in a Pink Floyd reunion.” Founding Pink Floyd visionary Syd Barrett died in 2006.

Source: http://www.relix.com/Features/Daily_...809153143.html

Wish he was here.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    R.I.P richard ...
    though i always liked the earlier compositions when Syd was still functioning

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS

Surprised/Amazed

Though it's not file sharing news, today us Floyd fans grieve.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    trevor2000's Avatar R.I.P Jay BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    R.i.p r.w.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    He left us a legacy that no other musician or group could possibly leave. No one can argue that Pink Floyd had that unique taste that no one will ever be able to emulate.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    R.I.P. Remarkable musician from one of the most influential bands of the 20th century.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Thank you for posting this. What a very sad day.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Poster
    R.I.P., you genius.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudenry View Post
    R.I.P. Remarkable musician from one of the most influential bands of the 20th century.
    Here here he will be sadly missed

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    NA_Magus's Avatar ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ
    My favorite band of that era...Very unfortunate. R.I.P Richard Wright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast