Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to max 100 mbit connection?

Hellish Blasphemer
    Hi, I just got my new 100 mbit cable broadband, and decided to test a couple of usenet providers to see what speeds I would get.
    Unfortunately the results were disappointing.
    I tested Astraweb 25 gig block account, Ngroups unlimited (which I've been using 6 months now) and Giganews diamond (3 day trial).

My max download speed is about 10-11 MB/sec

With Astraweb (20 connections) I get about 5-7 MB/sec.
    Ngroups (12 connections) I get 4-5 MB/sec.
    Giganews (20 connections) I get 6-7,5 MB/sec.
    Ping to all servers <50ms

No provider maxes my connection. I'd have to use many providers to do so (over 30 connections), which would become too expensive.

All of the providers (especially giganews) were disappointments regarding speed. I had expected that I would get easily beyond 10 MB/sec just like in fast ftp:s and speedtests

Are there any suggestions on how to max my connection, without having to pay absurd sums of money?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Pirate BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    100mbit=12.5mbyte
    Which means that if your down speed is 11mbytes it's awesome.
    The first rule of fight club is, you don’t talk about fight club

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Hellish Blasphemer
    Yes 11 MB/Sec is awesome, but how to get such speeds from usenet?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by grishnakh View Post
    Hi, I just got my new 100 mbit cable broadband
    You don't say who your provider is, or any other real information.

You need to do some basic research, the most minimum would be to use tracert to get a feel as to the number of hops between you, through your local network, through the providers network, out to the internet, and the pathways from there to the (potential) provider.

Another good basic tool is if the provider offers a 'reverse' tracert, like Giganews. I don't recall if any of the other newsgroup servers do as well.

There are also quite a few decent (read: FREE) tracert programs out there that will collect both route hop and delay statistics (over TIME) that will get you a better grip on what is going on over the 'long haul', so to speak (a connection that's great one minute and pathetic the next, etc.).

Of course, your machine (OS, CPU Speed/Memory/Disc access), the ethernet speeds between that and the modem (obviously, anything below 1Gbit like a 100Mbit interface would be a choke point), plus rest of your 'local' network, would be the first thing to look at. And, of course, what newsreader s/w you are running. Very few of those at the low end have ever been tested with anywhere near the bandwidth you currently have, so take a look at those specs as well.

I have, about 5 miles from me, FIOS 100Mbit available, but don't really plan on moving soon; I hope that, as I'm in a Verizon area (in a very high-end neighborhood), that 'eventually' it will get to me rather than me getting to it.

But, the non-Verizon telco (Qwest) is rolling out their competition to both Verizon and the cableco (locally, Comcast), at rates double that of Comcast. I can wait.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    If you still have anything left in your astraweb block account try using all of the 50 connections that they allow. Only unlimited accounts are limited to 20 connections, all blocks get 50. Also try all 3 of the addys you can use to connect see if one of them gives better results.

- news.astraweb.com
    - europe.news.astraweb.com (for European users)
    - us.news.astraweb.com (for US users)
    Last edited by rippinitup4fun; 09-17-2008 at 11:36 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I once had a dedi box and got 100 Meg down from giganews. I also got the giganews server to accept messages at 100 meg upload. As for my home connection well I always max but that is 8 Meg. Hey it must be a nice headache to have.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Hellish Blasphemer
    Part of the problem was solved by changing my modem to a better version. The old one didn't max my connection, even though speed tests gave near to theoretical max speeds.

I decided to buy Astraweb unlimited, which now gives me 9-10 MB/sec. Still, it doesn't hit the ceiling of my connection, as some sources give a constant 12 MB/sec.
    But hey, what can you expect from a usenet provider that costs 11$/month?

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by grishnakh View Post
    Part of the problem was solved by changing my modem to a better version. The old one didn't max my connection, even though speed tests gave near to theoretical max speeds.

I decided to buy Astraweb unlimited, which now gives me 9-10 MB/sec. Still, it doesn't hit the ceiling of my connection, as some sources give a constant 12 MB/sec.
    But hey, what can you expect from a usenet provider that costs 11$/month?
    Dude, 9-10MB/s with no download limit is fucking good for $11. You can't ask for anything more.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentguy View Post

Dude, 9-10MB/s with no download limit is fucking good for $11. You can't ask for anything more.
    Yes, the difference between 9-10MB/s and 12MB/s is pretty much nothing. You're talking seconds per release. Just wait an extra 30 seconds.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    consider yourself lucky to even have that fast of a connection, and spend your time upgrading your server with as many TB HD's as you can fit in that sucker.

some of us gringos are stuck at 900KB/s for the foreseeable future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast