Thread: Could torrent sites adopt the BCG model?

Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    Hello everyone. Most of us here agree that BCG is the best gaming site on the net. It goes without saying that their SP system is truly unique and what it's done is that a user can dl ANY torrent without having the fear of messing up their ratio and thereby getting banned.

Could major sites such waffles,what,bitmetv,KG or upcoming sites(excluding ratiofree sites) adopt such a system? Waffles is incredibly hard to seed on, should it really be so hard to grab a file and never be able to seed it back?

The one argument I've heard very often against this is that it reduces the incentive to upload. To that I have to point to BCG, users there haven't stopped uploading have they? I feel that users should upload if it would benefit the receiver or just for the fun of sharing and not just to get a big ratio. Demonoid is another example of people wanting to share for fun or the appreciation they would get when someone would benefit from it.

I suspect SP also eliminates hit n runs. Seed for the allotted time and you're done and if someone else needs the file and there's only one seed you can reseed it. There's really no need to hit n run if you're in it for sharing( probably still happens though).

SP also gives users with mediocre connections an opportunity to maintain a decent ratio amongst seedboxers.The speeds at BCG are great and so I don't think speed is such a big pitfall here to not implement SP.

So,could this model be adopted more often in the future? What do you guys think?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I've always wondered why other trackers haven't copied the SP system. From a user's perspective, it's great because you can download older torrents without fear of screwing up your ratio.

On the other hand, I wonder how many people stop seeding after they get their seed points. Only Stoi knows for sure, but that seems like a potential problem. For a lot of people, there's no incentive to keep going after you automatically get bumped to 1:1.

To me, the perfect system is a low ratio requirement. The requirement on KG is .30, which means users with a poor connection are able to maintain the minimum, but they still have to work at it.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    ajsi's Avatar think twice... BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    that's a really great idea. i haven't think of this before, but it would be just great, especially on a tracker like waffles. but, it is easy to think out, but hard to implement in my opinion. don't know if all staffers would like to even hear about this this, the less so creat system such as SP. that can be done only on tracker like bcg which has really best staff which can think out the best resolution for all users. like tracker from users for users. stoi 4 sysop of all torrent sites.
    // and SP in my opinion makes users leech more/leech older things, which is great thing. i think all staffer would welcome more leeching than overseeding

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I think there are many people on Blackcats that keep seeding because they want PU or SPU. For PU you need a 1.5 ratio and SPU, you need a 2.05. You can't use seedpoints to get those ratios.

As long as trackers keep userclass requirements high, people will generally keep seeding, imo.

Also - for instance, on a music tracker - if there are upload amount requirements for certain userclasses, people will upload torrents for that.

I think for music files, the length of seedtime needed to obtain 1:1 would have to be changed to a longer time period though.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I think there are many people on Blackcats that keep seeding because they want PU or SPU. For PU you need a 1.5 ratio and SPU, you need a 2.05. You can't use seedpoints to get those ratios.

As long as trackers keep userclass requirements high, people will generally keep seeding, imo.

Also - for instance, on a music tracker - if there are upload amount requirements for certain userclasses, people will upload torrents for that.

I think for music files, the length of seedtime needed to obtain 1:1 would have to be changed to a longer time period though.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I'm sure it won't spread easily.
    Reason? Severe drop on the amount of donations, as sites profit the most as high has they can keep their P2L. No money, no clown.

About the SP system, yes, it is the best method that i've come across in all torrent sites to stimulate the true nature of sharing.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    By uploading I meant uploading torrents and not just seeding. The reason given to not employ an SP system is the fact that users maynot be motivated enough to upload torrents. But then users at Demonoid and BCG haven't stopped uploading,infact the plethora of content at both sites is astonishing! And if they're uploading torrents to attain higher classes then THAT is the "missing motivation".
    I think this issue is more serious than I initially thought,donations is a major part, coding an SP system could also be tough.

Music sites could employ a seed point system even if it meant increasing the seed time to obtain 1:1. Seeding back a file at waffles/what is so difficult that it discourages ppl to leech. Users just wait for freeleech and go crazy. I think there's a lack of balance here. I feel a user should be able to leech a file at any given point and feel confident to seed it back.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Seedpoints definitely reduce the duration of total seedtime. Games take up a lot more harddrive space, and once most users get that 1:1 ratio, they'll probably stop seeding. The BCG SP system would definitely need to be reworked/remodeled/revamped for usage on a site such as what?. But personally I wouldn't like to see something like that; maybe a 'point' system that simply rewards you for the duration of time you seed a torrent, sort of like HDBits.

they didn't built Rome in one day

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    BANNED BT Rep: +3
    the reason it doesn't spread is because not everyone has 56k modem like you, and wants speed....
    Last edited by users; 09-21-2008 at 07:18 AM.