Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PeerGuardian 2.0

Maybe I should check into peergaurdian. I tried it before, but didn't think it really did much other than slow things down.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Sites are brought down, but you didn't even notice the fact, that many people are given cease and desist letters from the ESA and their ISP alive...

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by XxRaVeNxX View Post
    Sites are brought down, but you didn't even notice the fact, that many people are given cease and desist letters from the ESA and their ISP alive...
    ...which is the "not a big deal" result of an ISP receiving a notice that I mentioned. I'm not in the EU, but the law is essentially the same and I understand what happens when an ISP is noticed and know why.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    parah's Avatar Member
    Never used PeerGuardian, beacause I think it's just false security.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    BANNED BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Yes, i use this great soft almost 2 years ago.Very good for ant p2p and anti spy.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I really don't think Peerguardian provides you any more security than without it. Surely the various copyright authorities know about this and similar blocklists and have workarounds.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I was using PG up to a few days ago, and now I don't see any use for it since I only use private trackers. I will check out the ipfilter.dat that Raven mentioned.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Speaking of false sense of security, I think you could say the same about private trackers. If we're smart enough to get into those uber-elite level 11 sites, what makes you think the RIAA/MPAA/etc couldn't do the same? It wouldn't surprise me if the copyright police are on EVERY private tracker, just waiting to strike when the time is right. They're probably here on FST too.

Logic would tell you that they're more interested in public trackers with a lot of users. But the point of these busts is to scare the people they don't catch. They'll never stop filesharing, but if they can scare some of us off by taking out a private tracker or two (ie Oink), then they've fulfilled their mission. I'm almost positive that some high-level tracker will go down in the next couple of years.

And I do use Peerguardian. I don't have any illusions that it's foolproof, but even if it makes me 1% safer, then it's better than nothing.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    dr jones's Avatar the doctor BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    to all

i was wondering which one is better

peergardian or ipfilter or other software or none

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    When I was using 1.7.7 I use an ipfilter in uTorrent. And I believe uTorrent would show all the ip's it was blocking in the Logger tab.

Now I"m using 1.8. And I grabbed the ipfilter in Raven's link, renamed it, through it my uTorrent folder that is in Application Data. And ipfilter was already set to Enabled in Advance setting in uTorrent. But it's showing no ip's being blocked in the Logger tab.

EDIT: Nevermind, I copied and pasted the actual word ipfilter.dat that Raven typed in his post, instead of typing it myself, and renamed the .dat to it. But he misspelled ipfilter and I didn't catch it until now.
    Last edited by Funkin'; 09-24-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast