Thread: Best Newsgroup Header Reader?

Poster
    Hey, I was wondering what anyone thought was the best newsgroup client at reading binary headers? More specifically, it'd be nice if it would group files from the same release together, etc. I use Alt.Binz currently, but it seems rather cluttered and doesn't really do a good job at displaying headers. Any suggestions?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleMonger View Post
    Hey, I was wondering what anyone thought was the best newsgroup client at reading binary headers? More specifically, it'd be nice if it would group files from the same release together, etc. I use Alt.Binz currently, but it seems rather cluttered and doesn't really do a good job at displaying headers. Any suggestions?
    Altbinz as far as I am aware does not download headers so it is pointless using it for that purpose. If a new release is out that does I apologise.

As for best header newsreader I rarely download headers but I do in small to medium newsgroups sometimes. My preference for these types of newsgroups is Forte Agent. Easy Kill filters and easy deletions. If your trying to download headers from the main groups I would personally say steer clear could take a very long time. Just use binsearch or some similar web site. If your adamant that you wish to download headers from large binary groups then I hear newsleaeher is the tool. Of which I have no knowledge because I also use altbinz for large binary downloads :-)
    Last edited by Windy72; 09-24-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster
    Err, yeah, I meant to say that I use Alt.Binz now for NZB's. I also used GrabIt for awhile for headers, but I don't like it. Lastly, I have checked out newsleecher, and it seems alright, but it seems really cluttered. It doesn't combine the 30+ articles into one, so it makes it rather difficult to sort through. Granted, the possibility to remove incomplete articles is nice.

And yeah, I do use Binsearch, newzleech, FST NZB section, etc. for NZB's. However, there are times where I'd rather go check the groups themselves, and I'm not find a very nice utility to do so.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleMonger View Post
    Err, yeah, I meant to say that I use Alt.Binz now for NZB's. I also used GrabIt for awhile for headers, but I don't like it. Lastly, I have checked out newsleecher, and it seems alright, but it seems really cluttered. It doesn't combine the 30+ articles into one, so it makes it rather difficult to sort through. Granted, the possibility to remove incomplete articles is nice.

And yeah, I do use Binsearch, newzleech, FST NZB section, etc. for NZB's. However, there are times where I'd rather go check the groups themselves, and I'm not find a very nice utility to do so.
    I'm using Newsbin Pro and like it a lot. It's not perfect either in "compact mode" (combining posts) but good enough for me.

I paid for it (only $30 for lifetime) but I'm sure you can find a cracked version if you want to try it out.

I haven't tried newsleecher but Newsbin is much faster than Grabit both when browsing big groups, and more importantly decodes articles faster while downloading.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Thanks MF I shall have to "try it out"
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak