Thread: good site for laptops in US

kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    looking to buy a new laptop but im not really satisfied with what newegg has to offer. i'd prefer to do a custom-ish build but i really dont want to spend 5,000 on it either

ive looked into xoticpc.com

anything else?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Just go to slickdeals.net and wait for a good deal on dell laptops. Most, of those places who make "custom" laptops are usually way over priced.

BTW i've had my Dell laptop for close to years and it still kicks ass. Alot of dell's can be modded out relatively cheaply so keep that in mind.
    See ya in another life, brother.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    For the love of all that is good and holy DO NOT get a Dell or Gateway. Get an Acer or even lenovo or something. Try TigerDirect sign up for their newsletter and they send you all kinds of deals on Laptops also Microcenter and even compUSA send me stuff about laptop deals at least twice a week

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Y not a dell? Also u can try toshiba xli series

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    the short version is Dell's SUCK for the long version wait for clocker to reply. They have lots of propriatary stuff in there and their drivers suck monkey nuts.
    Last edited by Detale; 10-04-2008 at 06:56 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    word. toshiba's driver support is zero to none. Awful, truly awful. Add to this many BIOS bugs, and there you have it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I say again get an acer or even a lenovo. They will be less expensive and be better machines

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    im thinking about getting this one

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2096-...90-p-2409.html

the only thing i dont like about it are the hinges connecting the screen to the keyboard :/

any comments would be appreciated

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    What exactly don't you like about the hinges? I see no problem with this machine, I did a quick review search and This guy seems to think it's great some quotes for those too lazy to read it.

Sager and Clevo Clevo is perhaps not widely known, but their products are re-branded and sold by many known boutique brands such as Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, Kobalt, and others
    A laptop's build quality is one of the most important things to me. I'm happy to say that the NP2096 is a very solid laptop, much more so than my Dell Inspiron 600m. It feels very secure and sturdy. The appearance of the laptop is pretty plain, though as some users have already pointed out -- this thing looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures.
    Last edited by Detale; 10-05-2008 at 05:25 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    thanks for that

the review seems pretty solid. i did read it a few days ago when i first saw the machine on xoticpc.com. the rest of the reviews i was able to find were pretty decent as welll.

i am probably going to press that paypal button tomorrow for this laptop!