Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet With Win Xp/2k

Poster
    since you guys are talking windows xp etc. Can I upgrade from 98 SE with 2000 and have it saved over 98 se?
    No, if it was possible, it wouldn't be a good idea. Multi boot is the way to go if you still want anything of win9x.
    create a second partition, Start the install from inside win98 and choose "new install" instead. This will give you both and time to learn more about NTFS systems.

If you're good with configuring things and can find drivers, 2000 will serve you well. It's nothing dazzling to look at, just serious business. And most of your win98 games and stuff will still run fine in win2k.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Originally posted by balamm@6 September 2003 - 02:17
    since you guys are talking windows xp etc. Can I upgrade from 98 SE with 2000 and have it saved over 98 se?
    No, if it was possible, it wouldn't be a good idea. Multi boot is the way to go if you still want anything of win9x.
    create a second partition, Start the install from inside win98 and choose "new install" instead. This will give you both and time to learn more about NTFS systems.

If you're good with configuring things and can find drivers, 2000 will serve you well. It's nothing dazzling to look at, just serious business. And most of your win98 games and stuff will still run fine in win2k.
    umm okay i sound dumb asking this, but what exactally do i have to do to get 98 off my comp? You said multi boot? How do I go about doing that?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    I'll have to reinstall 2K/XP to try what you said, but what is the difference between the NT File System (NTFS), and FAT32? During installation 2K said it was more secure and all that, but it doesn't explain enough.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    NTFS doesn't waste space with clusters and blocks like fat does. If you only have say 5 bits to put into a block, that block is no longer useable. The rest of the 32 bit block is wasted. Not so with NTFS. It organises better and should be a lot faster. None of which has anything to do with the internet speed though. That's a protocol or handling issue.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by angelique@6 September 2003 - 03:23

umm okay i sound dumb asking this, but what exactally do i have to do to get 98 off my comp? You said multi boot? How do I go about doing that?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3671_7-5021373-1.html

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windows...3338939,00.html

http://www.devhood.com/messages/message_vi...thread_id=96999

Start with these and then ask me if you don't understand anything or just have questions.
    I've had 7 operating systems on a single drive before so I should be able to help with pretty much anything you need.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I'll try it on another partition.
    Thanx!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    actually Linux download/upload speed is faster than any Windows Platform..
    Dunno why, but i could get 300kb/s on the same file downloads while on windows i only got 100-150kb/s. I swaped between the o/s as quick as possible to do these tests of my own. Oh yea, i was running Redhat.
    Cant do much on linux, but hey.. wonder if it might make kazaa start downloadin from a bunch of users at 20kb/s+. never does that normally unless u really lucky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12