Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doa?

suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Scenario:
    As I walked into the room i noticed that there was no activity on the moniter. I approached thinking normal windows b/s caused this. After a restart it begins to load windows then stalls. After another restart nothing comes on, no bios no nothing. I dont have a speaker installed. The computer keeps checking the cdrom drives though, turning them on and off on and off.

Im thinking the motherboard is dead. Although i did just relocate the PC to the upstairs bedroom instead of basement, it could be a seating problem of the ram, correct? As soon as i get time i will reseat the ram but because of the post restarting over and over im thinking it is the motherboard. Read some places to try resetting bios, will also try that asap. Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I would agree to reseat the ram and the reset the bios and see what's what? What kind of board is it? Could even be the PSU is going out on you.
    Last edited by Detale; 10-08-2008 at 03:00 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    If it was a ram problem it wud have been accomponied by a ringing sound .. I knw cuz this happens in most of the motherboards ..

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    okay so i have a speaker but i just dont remember if it ever beeped(you know how you forget about it). Also, i reset the bios and it was a no go. I also reseated the ram and it was a no go. So simply motherboard? I dont know if its the powersupply, i could test it. What are usual signs of a dying powersupply

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Strange things like this happening can sometimes be the PSU. There is no one tell tale sign of it. Your best bet is if you have an old computer or a PSU laying around to try it.

To be clear you reset the bios after you reseated the RAM right?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6 View Post
    I dont know if its the powersupply, i could test it. What are usual signs of a dying powersupply
    Failure to boot?

Maybe you've zapped something with static when you moved it, or got a power surge. Try unplugging everything from the motherboard that you don't need in order to check that it posts - in other words disconnect all the drives, all external connectors except keyboard and monitor, all add on cards (except one graphics card). If there's a build-in graphics chip use that rather than an add-on card. Disconnect them from the PSU too in case something has developed a short and is dragging it down

If it posts and you can get to the bios settings, start reconnecting everything you removed one by one until you find the faulty part. Remember that there could be more than one fault, and that a faulty PSU could be giving out when the power exceeds a certain point.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    the ram was reseated and cmos was cleared. Now the cdrom lights are lighting up only once, but i dont hear any activity from the Harddrive. I would try another graphics card, but i dont have one lying around. It doesnt have an onboard. I ordered a mobo. Hopefully thats the problem, will give the Hdd a try in another pc.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well I can say from my own humble personal experience that 9 out of 10 it is usually the Mobo so I do hope that helps. What MoBo did you order? Keep us updated on the progress. Good luck man

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    yeah i called the mobo first. Seemed most logical. I bought the

Asus A8S-X Socket 939 Motherboard for AMD w/PCI-Express for about 40 bucks off line. Now i need to steal some thermal paste from someone. Haha. Thanks for the help guys. I really hope its my mobo cause i dont want to spend more money on parts. I really am waiting to just make a nice build for college.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6 View Post
    yeah i called the mobo first. Seemed most logical. I bought the

Asus A8S-X Socket 939 Motherboard for AMD w/PCI-Express for about 40 bucks off line. Now i need to steal some thermal paste from someone. Haha. Thanks for the help guys. I really hope its my mobo cause i dont want to spend more money on parts. I really am waiting to just make a nice build for college.
    When you say "off line" does that mean in a store or did you mean on line as in internet transaction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast