Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "I'm in it for the community"

TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Torrent communities are like cars. They all get you from A to B, but each one does it slightly differently.

Do you want a rugged vehicle. How about 4 wheel drive.

How good do you want your stereo system?

What about comfort? I'll go for the heated and ventilated seats please.

What about a sunshine roof, or no roof at all?

In other words, while all torrent communities offer the file sharing service, each one will offer something else, depending on the tastes of the members joining and staying.

Two communities that have the community flavour, yet are quite different in how their communities interact, are FSC and Wheel Mods. Both have a community, yet both communities are as different as chalk and cheese.

Choosing your community is like choosing your car. Is it a BMW, or a Merc, or a Subaru, or a Jaguar, or an Aston Martin, or a Ford, or a VolksWagon, or a Chevrolet, or a... You get the picture.

Some like ScT, or FSC, or FTN, or TL, or TPB, or... You get the picture.

At the end of the day, it is not what the community offers, but whether what they offer is what you want. Not every community is for everyone, and not everyone wants the same.

To compare communities is to compare cars, and it doesn't matter what we drive, we will all disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL
    You are one of the nicest and most mature people on this board; I would never ignore someone like you.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    I hardly post in any trackers' forum. I am too stupid to use the IRC; but I make it a point to comment and say a few words of thanks for every torrent that I download.
    I seed what I download until there is no space in my drive.

Am I 'community' enough, or am I anti-community?
    Last edited by TP635; 10-09-2008 at 03:11 AM.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by lukee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Why don't you ask the tracker staff that question ? They are the ones after all that created a private community for members to come & share files, did they set up forums and an irc channel to simply bathe in the glory of the ignorance of the members who can't even be bothered to say 'hi', 'thanks', or 'kiss my arse'. This is a file sharing community and alot of effort goes into designing building and maintaining these websites. There are some that want a community, a small group of known users. Yet funnily enough, these small community trackers for the very reason that they want to be a small closed community are the ones that are so highly prized by the traders who have zero intention of being a part of that community,they're just there for teh filez man!
    It is a selfish attitude like yours that your just there for the files which is slowly grinding the community down, I have seen many dedicated staff & uploaders who have put alot of effort in simply leave because of this give me it now I want it all attitude, which is killing the sense of community.
    The people who design and maintain these websites do not do it sheerly for your entertainment, if that was the case why even bloody bother, just whack them all up on rapidshare or a private ftp where an anonymous leechfest can happen. NO the point of the bit torrent community is to be a member of the site, any noddy can be a good user by leaving his client running and uploading the files he has downloaded, thats the whole point of the bit torrent protocol, that a swarm of peers speeds up the data transfer because it comes from many different sources, so just being a good user by seeding files isn't exactly an IQ test, the point of the sites is more than that, and if you took the time to look you would find that out.
    That's why I'm active in the forums of every tracker I'm on, that's why I've been an FLS and uploader on a few sites. Before you start makeing random accusations get your facts straight. Half of the forum posts on trackers are from topics like "last person to post wins", "post your desktop", "what kind of dysplay do you have" etc. A user who wants to really contribute to the wellbeing of the tracker keeps his torrents seeding for weeks. I'm not saying its bad to post in the forums. I'm just saying is that its really annoying when some idiot says "I want it for the community !!11!1one!!1". Its a huge ass lie. When a person says that, they are clearly saying: I rather add my contribution to the dekstop thread instead of downloading that pack and help seed it. A really good member rents a seedbox and seeds his ass off. Everyone benefits from that.
    I actually made this comment for the simple reason that the word community has become warped from what it should mean to something else, you now have two sharp divisions, those who run around saying I want to be apart of this or that forum or tracker for the community without even having the slightest clue what community is about, and a surprising number of these community members mangle the shit out of the english language using an online translator, now those people really do piss me off. But there is the other side of the coin too, those who laugh at community or deride the small community based trackers because they don't have the pre time of SCC or ScT, this group, the collectors I also find to be idiots because they build up the next tracker to be some kind of nirvana, and once there do very little with the a/c, and when they gain access to the smaller community based trackers which are more about a group sharing their own stuff, then they feel ripped off that it isn't what they thought it would be, and definitely isn't what they were searching for in a torrent website in the first place.
    As retro said there are many different styles of trackers (or cars) so there are many different flavors out there, I like you have been fls and and an uploader, I contribute help where I can, spam like a pro when the occasion arises, but if it is a moronic topic or I don't have anything to say then I wont, but I enjoy the 'community' feel of torrent trackers and getting to know others, if not I would sod off and get a newsgroup a/c, it sure is cheaper than a seedbox.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    I do not know of a site that wants it's forum to be ignored. Seems the opposite.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    the best communities are on specialized sites that specialize in the stuff you love. at least those ones mean the most to me

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    the best communities are on specialized sites that specialize in the stuff you love. at least those ones mean the most to me
    now someones got it right. I concur.
    Go Leafs Go.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    "Community", a term very loosely thrown around to gain access to the secret trackers high up on the WTAW.

Lukee, I'd like to ask you what else could these guys say to get into these uber-duper-super secret trackers, afterall "community" is all they have to offer?

The funniest part is how the tracker staff feel the need to defend their mediocre sites(shitty content) by hailing their "community". Comparing trackers to cars,fantastic analogy,hmm only problem is it's a godamn website at the end of the day.

Have quality websites such as KG,Waffles,Goem ever got recognition for their highly erudite and knowledgeable communities?NO! They don't use "community" to hide their mediocrity!

Go ahead and argue all you want, but everyone knows what's going around here. Kojin summed it up beautifully for me,too bad his sticky got deleted.
    Last edited by soulreaper; 10-09-2008 at 07:14 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    forums != community

I think the big mistake of thinking that community means forums. In a great community, the forum probably is great, but more importantly everyone there cares about the tracker.

The encoders care (and are usually abundant and timely in their rips), the sceners care (equals good pretimes), the uploaders in general all care.

In a good community you will see people seeding 147 torrents on one tracker even though their ratio is already balls out insanely awesome. They love the site, that is why they continue to seed.

Additionally, in a great community, you will be communicating with other people who also love the tracker. This includes 'thank yous', ratings, and useful comments on torrents (sometimes constructive criticism), and yes quite often the forums.

I want in for the community... great community = resourceful tracker

On the contrary, a tracker with a bad community is a site with few torrents where nobody seeds and nobody cares except the site staff.
    Well said as with out the community you have no forum . I'm old school yes but learned sharing way before a ratio was required , it was common sense . Something taught years earlier , " share with others " >3
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-09-2008 at 07:28 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
    "Community", a term very loosely thrown around to gain access to the secret trackers high up on the WTAW.

Lukee, I'd like to ask you what else could these guys say to get into these uber-duper-super secret trackers, afterall "community" is all they have to offer?

The funniest part is how the tracker staff feel the need to defend their mediocre sites(shitty content) by hailing their "community".
    Very well said.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by lukee View Post
    A really good member rents a seedbox and seeds his ass off.
    And that's where you prove you don't know squad when it comes to the true nature of filesharing.

You do't need to have a seedbox to maintain a good ratio at a 'hard to seed' tracker ... you just have to be experienced in torrenting, and when you are you know what torrents you should download at what trackers.
    You shouldn't be downloading a 50GB-torrent on a hard to seed tracker if you know there will only be about 5 snatches from members with seedboxes. You get that at a tracker like TL and not on a tracker like ScT.

You can say you want to be loyal to 'your hard to seed tracker' and download everything from there but that's just plain stupid and the tracker won't benefit squad from you downloading such a torrent, since you will have a horrible ratio on it due to your 'crappy' home connection, except when you have a massive HDD and can keep this seeded for an extended period of time.

You claim to have good ratio's at trackers that are 'difficult' to maintain good ratio's at, but based on your redicoulous statement I quoted you are using a seedbox for it ... I'm sorry m8, I have decent ratio's at my 'hard to seed' trackers too and didn't have to use a seedbox for it.

The satisfaction you get when seeding from your home-connection and obtaining this or that 'member-class' is a much higher than using some seedbox with an rss or irc-feed that downloads everything automatically and ups a TB in about one week when configured correctly. I can say that because I have the experience of a home-connection and the use of a seedbox.

I don't say using a seedbox is wrong, hell I'm doing it myself sometimes, but statements like the one I quoted above are sheer bullshite

To the OP ... if you wanted your account deleted, why are you still posting here In fact this 'community-topic' has been posted in the very near past by a member named squizzle ... I'm surprised people that answered in his thread still bother to answer in this 100th dupe/recycled one too.
    Seems like a waist of time imo.
    Last edited by Disme; 10-09-2008 at 09:23 AM.
    Can you feel the LOVE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast