Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "I'm in it for the community"

lukee's Avatar Suit up!
    Am I the only one who find people who say this in an invite request or give away completely retarded? Whats the point of giving an invite to a person who is more in it for the forums then for the actual files? Isn't the point of a tracker to download and contribute to the trackers peer network?

Just a thought.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Not every tracker has the same goals.While it's true by definition that is a tracker's raison d'etre,at some the idea of fellowship is taken a lot more seriously than at others.
    If that isn't what you are looking for fine,but allow that others might not share the same view.

Just a side note. Didn't you want to quit FST supposedly for the very thing that you are doing here?Or isn't inferring other people are retarded being rude?
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 10-08-2008 at 07:25 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    C.H.A.O.S's Avatar teh sharer
    No, you aren't the only only one saying that. torrent sites should be used as 90% tracker and 10% forums. As i'm there for downloading and be a part of a community which all his members are found in the other torrent sites. If I want to find a very real community then there are a lot of more places.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    respawn40's Avatar Phoenix Wright :D BT Rep: +2
    Well, that's thinking of it as strictly a service, and only the tracker part of the website; not the whole website. If someone wishes to be incredibly more active in the forums of a private bittorrent community than downloading files, then I don't see a problem with that. Everybody has different reasons for wanting to join a site. Some people are forum/IRC addicts, and want to be in a private place where they can talk to others.

However, putting something along the lines of "I want *insert private bittorrent community here* because of the community", wouldn't ever sway my decision to invite somebody or not; I would base that on how much I know them, how dependable they are, etc. People think putting that in helps their chances of getting into a site, but it really doesn't.

So yes, the point of a tracker is to download and contribute files over a peer network. Trackers, however, are just one aspect of a private bittorrent site. The word "tracker" is often used to mean the entire website.
    Last edited by respawn40; 10-08-2008 at 07:27 PM.

I am a exsellent speller and I use grammer very good.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by lukee View Post
    Am I the only one who find people who say this in an invite request or give away completely retarded? Whats the point of giving an invite to a person who is more in it for the forums then for the actual files? Isn't the point of a tracker to download and contribute to the trackers peer network?

Just a thought.
    Why don't you ask the tracker staff that question ? They are the ones after all that created a private community for members to come & share files, did they set up forums and an irc channel to simply bathe in the glory of the ignorance of the members who can't even be bothered to say 'hi', 'thanks', or 'kiss my arse'. This is a file sharing community and alot of effort goes into designing building and maintaining these websites. There are some that want a community, a small group of known users. Yet funnily enough, these small community trackers for the very reason that they want to be a small closed community are the ones that are so highly prized by the traders who have zero intention of being a part of that community,they're just there for teh filez man!
    It is a selfish attitude like yours that your just there for the files which is slowly grinding the community down, I have seen many dedicated staff & uploaders who have put alot of effort in simply leave because of this give me it now I want it all attitude, which is killing the sense of community.
    The people who design and maintain these websites do not do it sheerly for your entertainment, if that was the case why even bloody bother, just whack them all up on rapidshare or a private ftp where an anonymous leechfest can happen. NO the point of the bit torrent community is to be a member of the site, any noddy can be a good user by leaving his client running and uploading the files he has downloaded, thats the whole point of the bit torrent protocol, that a swarm of peers speeds up the data transfer because it comes from many different sources, so just being a good user by seeding files isn't exactly an IQ test, the point of the sites is more than that, and if you took the time to look you would find that out.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Dahg's Avatar King of the BBQ
    community is a relative term. it could mean downloading. it could mean forums. it could mean security. it could mean emotional support. lol... many people have different opinions on this.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Community is pretty much a bullshit reason for people who want to get into trackers. Have been a member at certain "community based" trackers, there is not one of them whos forums are dead, IRC is very sporadic and no one thanks anyone for uploads. I fail to see how that is a "community".

Of course there are always exceptions, but that's my experience as a whole. And wow, a halfway constructive comment from me.
    Go Leafs Go.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    on kraytracker almost everyone thanks for uploads That's prob the best community tracker I know of, but then again most people on here wouldn't care about that kind of community, cause most of you seem to be DJ's
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 10-08-2008 at 07:56 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    never heard of a guy to be active only in forum and not in torrents.. thats really lame it`s one thing to thank and participate in forum and what you sayd

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    I'm guessing most people mention their apparent desire to be in a community because they believe it makes them appear more deserving. "Community-based" trackers tend to be small, because staff on those trackers have realized that the majority of people that use private trackers don't give two fucks about the other people on the tracker, so long as they get their files.

There's nothing really wrong with not participating in social aspects of a tracker, depending on the tracker in question. Let's take ScT for example; the known "community" is almost nonexistent, save the staff, a few posters in forums/irc, trolls, and some 4chan lurkers. That being said, is it perfectly fine to avoid all socializing with the people on ScT just to concentrate on getting the files? I'll let you be the judge.

It all goes back to what tracker management has deemed a good user. On most trackers, being a good user simply means respecting rules and maintaining ratio requirements. On other, smaller trackers that are requested frequently around here, being a good user means being an actual member of the tracker; socializing with the people, and other contributions besides seeding back to 1.00.

There'll always be the collectors who are swayed by the "levels," but if you're actually honest to yourself, and only care about the newest 0day leet scenestuff, then don't go after trackers where that's all that matters.

they didn't built Rome in one day

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast