Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is this build (used for modelling/gaming)?

mike45450's Avatar =_=_=

Smile

So i'm trying to learn modelling with Maya (plus i'm a frequent Photoshop user, though nothing like huge images or anything), but my current PC is absolutely hopeless, and so i'm looking to build a new PC. I heard that the onboard graphics on AMD 780G motherboards are actually fairly decent, and a lot better than my current 9800 pro, plus if I choose to I can add a proper graphics card in later, which is a bonus. I plan on using my current (IDE) hard drives in this configuration. I already have monitor/keyboard etc. Anyway, here are the specs:

• Lian-Li PC7-B Plus II
    • 450W Corsair VX Series PSU
    • Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
    • AMD Phenom 9550 @ 2.2Ghz
    • 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 PC2-6400 (800) (I have no plans to upgrade to Vista)
    • Pioneer DVR-216DBK (since the one IDE connector on the motherboard will be to connect my current 2 hard drives)

It comes to £312, which to be honest, i'm extremely surprised. Does anyone have any suggestions of changes? Keep in mind that i'm on a pretty tight budget, and need it to be as cheap as possible (though I don't wanna skimp on quality of components much).

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    You should really consider going intel and 4gb of ram. I know you said you're on a budget but the results will be worth it. i will see what kind of build I can put together for you in a bit. An initial suggestion would be this kit from Tiger. you could then save up and replace the parts you want to. I think it's a decent cheap system to start from. I will still see if I can get some good specs for around $300 bucks
    Last edited by Detale; 10-12-2008 at 01:34 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    D., the British pound is currently exchanging at the rate of $1.69= 1 pound, so you have @ $525 to work with.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    D., the British pound is currently exchanging at the rate of $1.69= 1 pound, so you have @ $525 to work with.
    Even better then .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mike45450's Avatar =_=_=

Question Mark

Well i've been researching stuff all day, and have updated the list. This will probably be the final version unless anyone has any decent suggestions?

-Antec 300 case
    -Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    -Corsair VX450W PSU
    -Q6600
    -2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 PC2-6400 (800mhz)
    -512MB PowerColor HD 4850 PCS+ Edition
    -Pioneer DVR-216DBK
    -Plus 2 old IDE hard drives

£435

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I say again you should go for the 4 GB of ram on newegg This gskil 1066 ram 4GB for $20 more than you are going to pay man.

Corsair 800 you picked 2GB $69.99

Gskil 1066 I suggest 4GB $89.99

Thats 2 more gigs of faster Ram for $20 US check out the prices near you. Where are you going to order from man??

Also the motherboard you picked is kind of an older model. I think maybe you should go with something like

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R

Now cases are a personal thing but in your price range I think this is a better case
    COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1

It has 5 External 5.25" Drive Bays when the Antec 300 only has 3

It also has a Esata port on the case which is good for next gen external drives.

again it's a personal thing but a suggestion none the less. The PSU, CPU , and DVD drive all look fine to me. Good luck man.
    Last edited by Detale; 10-13-2008 at 04:29 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    D., he is in England...Newegg is not an option.

4GB of memory is only useful if he installs a 64bit OS.

So Mike, what OS are you going to use?
    Last edited by clocker; 10-13-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    best places to buy from in england i would think are http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ and http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/ i use both of them for my builds.

My name is Dan for the people who care!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    mike45450's Avatar =_=_=
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    So Mike, what OS are you going to use?
    I'll stick to 32bit XP. My internet connection is really slow at the moment, so I can't be bothered to "obtain" it, and buying is outta the equation (pushing my budget as it is).

@Detale

I have no need for so many drive bays, plus I don't need any external hard drives.

As for the motherboard...yeah, that is something i'd like to improve, but unfortunately I don't have much money left in my budget. Are there any decent motherboards for around £10 more?
    Last edited by mike45450; 10-13-2008 at 01:19 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    £10 more than what? Whats the total MOBO budget?

I only suggest these options because you may not want theses options ATM but if you do in the future you may regret not getting them now. Like for $20 more you get twice the ram at a faster speed and if you do want to install a 64 bit OS then you will have what you need or if you need more drive bays you will have them.

What site are you ordering from so I can get some idea of the prices you are going to pay??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast