Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bitgamer moves to gazelle

Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Happy holidays and season's greetings to all of our lovely members here at bitGAMER! We hope you're enjoying your end-of-year week and all it encompasses.

As some of you may have guessed by the header image of this news post, we have a rather large announcement to make:

We're moving to Gazelle!!

For those of you who don't know, bitGAMER is currently run on a (very heavily) edited version of TorrentBits' original TBDev codebase. At the time of bitGAMER's start, this was essentially the only serious choice for a site, so genius coders hunkered down and built a stable, if inefficient site. However, since then, the fine folk at http://what.cd have created a new codebase for torrent sites, codenamed "Gazelle". As well as being lightning fast, it's also lightweight, efficient, standards-compliant and graphically customisable. For the last four months or so, our crack team of coders has been hard at work converting the base music-site source into the next step in bitGAMER's evolution, bitGAMER 2.0.
    // bG Staff
    *Article shortened

Can't wait for the move. I love bitgamer and I think that this move will give them a boost in reputation that will make them raise in the ranks.

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this move, as I can't recall any other game tracker sites running on gazelle (atleast major ones).

Wanting to see fst's reaction/thoughts on this all.

Personally it caught me off guard as bitgamer's current layout works very well.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 12-28-2009 at 12:17 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    respawn40's Avatar Phoenix Wright :D BT Rep: +2
    Now if only Underground-Gamer would do that...

I am a exsellent speller and I use grammer very good.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Slickerey's Avatar <3 FST BT Rep: +2
    Interesting... Let's see if this works out for them

Quote Originally Posted by respawn40 View Post
    Aren't they sister sites or some shit?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickerey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by respawn40 View Post
    yes, they are.
    Probably the gazelle indexing would work better on UG, as it has so many categories and subcategories.
    Good move on BG.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickerey View Post

yes, they are.
    Probably the gazelle indexing would work better on UG, as it has so many categories and subcategories.
    Good move on BG.
    Gazelle's grouping system would certainly work well with a games tracker, with NTSC/PAL versions of a game. Not exactly sure how well that would work with UG, I don't really see how old retro games could be "grouped", as there aren't too many different versions of the same thing.

Then again, Gazelle works perfectly fine even without grouping. Sites like TV run much more efficiently and smoothly, and load times are great.

I'm psyched .

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    This is going to be nice. Can't wait for it. I wouldn't mind seeing BCG move to Gazelle also.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    This is going to be nice. Can't wait for it. I wouldn't mind seeing BCG move to Gazelle also.
    Ya I'm interested to see the impact this has on BCG.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Not sure why this will have an effect on us, but just for the record, we are contemplating opening a movie tracker, which will be using the gazelle code, if that is a success, then we may migrate the games tracker to gazelle as well.

but as you know, atm we are short of coders, and the coders we have got are busy with their real lives, so any coding has sort of ground to a halt recently.

If we were a global ratio only tracker, then the migration to gazelle would probably be easy, but as we have mods on that make us stand out from the rest (SP for one) then it is harder to migrate.

but we will see what transpires in 2010, just got no promises atm, its all specualtion of what we are going to do.

PS: would just like to add, good luck to them with it, I have never, and never will see another tracker as competition to BCG, we are all in this for 1 reason, sharing, which is why we dont have that silly rule where you cant upload torrents on BCG to other sites, i dont care if they get more seeders/leechers than us, or faster pre-times, or anything really, they do what they do, we do what we do, if a member likes them better, so be it, i am not fussed at all.
    Last edited by stoi; 12-28-2009 at 01:55 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    yes, they are.
    Good move on BG.
    Gazelle's grouping system would certainly work well with a games tracker, with NTSC/PAL versions of a game. Not exactly sure how well that would work with UG, I don't really see how old retro games could be "grouped", as there aren't too many different versions of the same thing.

Then again, Gazelle works perfectly fine even without grouping. Sites like TV run much more efficiently and smoothly, and load times are great.

I'm psyched .
    Erm, games released for multiple systems, maybe? IDK, just guessing.

PS: The NTSC/PAL thing is a bit older than you think.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    woohoo! May the best (codebase) win. simple as that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast