Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Private torrent sites are legal ?

Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Again I must point out, that unless the admin is notified, then IMO its not illegal. If that were true, then google would be illegal, as they contain links to copyrighted material. They just take it down when they get notified about it. They don't go around looking for stuff to remove on their own, so why should it be any different for torrent sites, they are also only indexing links.

Now I understand that most if not all torrent sites do not provide a way to be contacted about such links, but if they did....?

This is all just a curious subject for me, I'm not trying to be difficult or prove I'm right. I just like a good debate
    Last edited by Tokeman; 10-15-2008 at 09:51 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    If you don't get caught, it is legal.

Once you get caught, it is illegal.

^_^

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    Again I must point out, that unless the admin is notified, then IMO its not illegal. If that were true, then google would be illegal, as they contain links to copyrighted material. They just take it down when they get notified about it. They don't go around looking for stuff to remove on their own, so why should it be any different for torrent sites, they are also only indexing links.

Now I understand that most if not all torrent sites do not provide a way to be contacted about such links, but if they did....?
    I think the big difference between Google and a private tracker is that the sole purpose of a BT-tracker is to facilitate copyright infridgement and Google is basically a search machine that can be used to do illegal things.

It all depends on what laws certain countries have because there isn't something like a universal law against copyright infridgement.
    Can you feel the LOVE

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post

This is all just a curious subject for me, I'm not trying to be difficult or prove I'm right. I just like a good debate
    Great answer with example thanks

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    winmac's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It can be legal... As long as you host a legal files.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    lol everyone wants to host one these days... too many of them around to keep up with.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234