Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Vs. Amd

_John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@6 September 2003 - 16:51
    The fact remains that AMD offer almost exactly the same performance as Intel at a fraction of the price.

Unless you're the kind of idiot who will happily pay 150% of the price to get 105% of the performance, go with AMD.
    Agreed lamsey, and well put.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    but think about this, if u get wat u pay for, y is the p4 so expensive. there's obviously something good about it. in my opinion, amd's r for experienced overclockers, and intels r just fast out of the box, so for hardware noobies like me, the speed matches a overclocked amd. i have a p4 2.4 ghz 800 fsb and i think it has HT. i think it's pretty good. for wat i paid for. i would've gone with an amd, but i'm not an overclocker, and i would likely go nuts when my comp starts to smoke from overheating and overclocking. i'm happy with wat i have.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    BANNED
    Originally posted by SnnY@6 September 2003 - 20:53
    I prefer AMD, but they say intel ones runs colder, which means they are harder to fry.
    search on kazaa for a video of this...you find one and see that AMD cpu's take less than second after removing the fan that they start frying and smoke starts to come out...

pentium instead takes WAY much more......but if u wanna fry a pc...no need for brands...just remove fans

DWk

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    BANNED
    oh i forgot....i prefer neither of those...i have an amd on this computer and the other one has a p3...its all good....however you all forgot to mention that AMD 3200+ ISNT 3.2ghz....but about 2.8....while p4 3.2 IS 3.2ghz indeed....my amd 1800+ runs at 1.53.... the 2400+ runs at 1.8...etc....

yea they are cheaper, but you may be disappointed by the results because AMD doesnt put the actual speed on the cpu box

DWk

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    y would u want to fry it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Originally posted by DWk@7 September 2003 - 06:19
    oh i forgot....i prefer neither of those...i have an amd on this computer and the other one has a p3...its all good....however you all forgot to mention that AMD 3200+ ISNT 3.2ghz....but about 2.8....while p4 3.2 IS 3.2ghz indeed....my amd 1800+ runs at 1.53.... the 2400+ runs at 1.8...etc....

yea they are cheaper, but you may be disappointed by the results because AMD doesnt put the actual speed on the cpu box

DWk
    like i said, intels r fast straight out of the box. amd's have to be overclocked, and u have to get all these cooling systems. my friend overclocked his athlonxp 2800 and got his comp all burned up. he had to replace the mobo and cpu. feel sory for him, and for all inexperienced people who r goin to overclock their amd. i think intels can be overclocked 2, but there won't be much of a point to do that.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by Lamsey@6 September 2003 - 21:51
    The fact remains that AMD offer almost exactly the same performance as Intel at a fraction of the price.

Unless you're the kind of idiot who will happily pay 150% of the price to get 105% of the performance, go with AMD.
    easy for u to say, mr. super hardware guy. people like me don't no sh*t about hardware. sory. but we like it out of the box. besides, if we could, we can overclock p4's if we wanted to. didn't mean to be mean.

amds r good, but they r for more advanced users. p4's r for the hardware nowledge deprived.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@7 September 2003 - 07:16
    but think about this, if u get wat u pay for, y is the p4 so expensive. there's obviously something good about it.
    Yeah, just like Britney Spears' newest album. It costs a lot (as most CDs do, in my opinion), so there's obviously something good about it, right?

Welcome to the real world, abu... $$$ != quality

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Hmmm....I don't know know about where this discussion is going...but I will say this much, as this is a standard topic that seems to really not accomplish much...

The real issue about Intel and AMD is what you can do the most with for less.

If you know where to get a good deal on an Intel Pentium 4 for the same price as an equally performing AMD chip, go for the Intel chip. However, this is rarely the case. Usually it is the opposite and AMD's microprocessors are much cheaper than Intel's chips unless you purchase an Intel based system from a proprietary manufacturer (which is a potential cause of headache...). AMD is generally the solution for the bargain hunting enthusiast...as AMD sells microprocessors with unlocked multipliers and Intel does not...which bothers the Tweaker segment of the market...

But that seems* to be changing.

Intel seems to be conforming to the enthusiast market by making this available

So we will see. But I respect those of you who have the know how to assemble a AMD machine and are able to achieve your goals for significantly cheaper than those of you who paid top dollar for an Intel chip and can't afford a killer graphics card and more RAM...

B)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Originally posted by DWk+7 September 2003 - 06:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWk &#064; 7 September 2003 - 06:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@6 September 2003 - 20:53
    I prefer AMD, but they say intel ones runs colder, which means they are harder to fry.
    search on kazaa for a video of this...you find one and see that AMD cpu&#39;s take less than second after removing the fan that they start frying and smoke starts to come out...

pentium instead takes WAY much more......but if u wanna fry a pc...no need for brands...just remove fans

DWk[/b][/quote]
    AMD Athlon Processors run hotter than intels because they are just ALL overclocked to begin with coz AMD Couldnt or just cant be arsed to make a processor from scratch that will compete with the P4&#39;s speed. Its like comparing a BMW 330 3.0 6cylinder and a Ford Fiesta 1.3, They will both do a 100, but which one is more likely to blow up if you keep doin it?..............the bmw of course (lol) It all comes down to money at the end of the day, I run on a XP2.4 and invested some of what i saved on a intel to buy bigger and better cooling but it still runs to darn hot&#33; only time will tell on long term reliability.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast