Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Vs. Amd

lol...just seen ya edit..... peace

2. Software & Hardware   -   #42
    lynx's Avatar .
    A word of warning re overheated AMD cpu's - AMD are now VERY picky about replacing overheated cpu's - my supplier will not replace them if there is the slightest sign that the cpu has been overheated because they know that AMD will NOT replace them. I think this policy has been in place since the advent of the Thoroughbred series, and is being particularly enforced with the Barton series of chips.

I am told that if they are in any doubt whether the processor has been overheated they will run extra tests and will not replace the processor if overheating is proved. So anyone thinking of trying to get away with using minimal cooling should think again - AMD are trying hard to get away from the image that their processors run hot, and I think justifiably so with their latest offerings.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #43
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1

4. Software & Hardware   -   #44
    BANNED
    Originally posted by lynx@7 September 2003 - 10:38
    So poor cooling is to blame.
    omg...most people that buy computers dont know squat about a cpu, ram, or whatever...and you seem to say that AMD is only being sold to the "advanced user" that could buy a cooling system to USE the computer? for crying out loud man.... get the things str8 b4 u post this...

DWk

5. Software & Hardware   -   #45
    BANNED
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@7 September 2003 - 10:16
    i don't know how high P4 clock frequencies are supposed to eventually go, but it appears to be a design that will end up dealing very well with extremely high clock speeds.
    i dont think p4 is gonna go higher than 4 or 4.5 since they are putting out these new processors...well not soooo new.... but newest from Intel (Itanium and Xeon)...

good thing bout p4 is the 800mhz fsb, but i bet getting some ram sticks like that must be reaaaaaaaaly expensive

EDIT: i forgot to mention Centrino

DWk

6. Software & Hardware   -   #46
    this topic needs some serious water cooling me thinks! or has it got to much? its either a tad frosty or overheating in here depending on how you look at it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #47
    BANNED
    keke

DWk

8. Software & Hardware   -   #48
    Originally posted by SnnY@7 September 2003 - 13:41

nice shot...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #49
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'm just happy it isn't my own comp.

Poor guy.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #50
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by boyzeee@7 September 2003 - 13:32
    this topic needs some serious water cooling me thinks! or has it got to much? its either a tad frosty or overheating in here depending on how you look at it
    The problem here is that there are a lot of people in here spouting bullshit about stuff they have no idea about.

Some examples:

in my experience, AMD out performs P4 in the real world, under everyday conditions, which is what realy counts
    Wrong. You can't generalise like this, it's all dependent on which chips you're talking about and which conditions they're operating in. It has been proved that the highest-end P4s are marginally faster than their Athlon equivalents.

in my opinion, amd's r for experienced overclockers

yea they are cheaper, but you may be disappointed by the results because AMD doesnt put the actual speed on the cpu box
    You'll find that they do. AMD are not stupid enough to believe that clock speed defines the processing power of a chip, so they do not encourage this point of view.

like i said, intels r fast straight out of the box. amd's have to be overclocked, and u have to get all these cooling systems.......
    i think intels can be overclocked 2, but there won't be much of a point to do that......

amds r good, but they r for more advanced users. p4's r for the hardware nowledge deprived.
    Procedure for installing an AMD CPU:
    • lift lever on CPU socket

• gently place CPU into socket, taking care to align pins properly

• lower lever after checking the CPU is seated correctly

• apply thermal paste to die of processor

• place cooler on CPU, taking care to align it properly

• engage clip on cooler

• plug in cooler's power cable

Procedure for correctly installing an Intel CPU:
    • lift lever on CPU socket

• gently place CPU into socket, taking care to align pins properly

• lower lever after checking the CPU is seated correctly

• apply thermal paste to die of processor

• place cooler on CPU, taking care to align it properly

• engage clip on cooler

• plug in cooler's power cable

AMD Athlon Processors run hotter than intels because they are just ALL overclocked to begin with coz AMD Couldnt or just cant be arsed to make a processor from scratch that will compete with the P4's speed.

I know what you are saying but what i meant was instead of amd designing new processors they basically increase the clock speed of the ones they got already with the exception of barton, the design of the xp2.0 is basically the same as the 1400 but amd themselves have just overclocked it
    AMD's Athlon line is one of the longest evolution chains in the CPU world, and they have progressed through many cores along the way, from Thunderbird to Palomino through the three revisions of Thouroughbred up until the Bartons.
    So in actual fact they have been revising their CPU architecture a lot.

good thing bout p4 is the 800mhz fsb, but i bet getting some ram sticks like that must be reaaaaaaaaly expensive
    For maximum effieciency, most experts agree that your FSB frequency should match your RAM frequency. Thus, the 800MHz FSB does not deliver twice the performance of a 400MHz FSB, since they'll both have to work on 400MHz DDR RAM.

EDIT: i forgot to mention Centrino
    What on earth does Centrino have to do with it?

If you have no idea what you're talking about, that is cool; ask questions and we will happily answer. But don't start spouting crap, 'cos anyone with any knowledge will just tear you apart, and with good reason.

If you want to learn more about hardware, have a look at some hardware sites such as Tom's Hardware Guide, AnandTech or better still Ars Technica.

One of the biggest reasons for Intel's continued dominance of the CPU market is due to people being misinformed. If everyone knew how much better value AMD's processors are, Intel would be a dead company.
    This thread is a good example of that.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast