Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newzbin's Legal Situation

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    "Newzbin has recently received two serious complaints regarding the indexing we perform, and raising doubts as to its legality.

It is likely that we will in the coming weeks be presented with a court case and have to defend our rights. We will be defending ourselves vigorously against both the complainants if necessary and we believe a court will agree with our view that linking to content on Usenet is indeed legal and our method of dealing with unlawful content is appropriate. We believe that, or we wouldn't still be here.

We are not in a position to disclose the identities of these two complainants (though I'm sure you can guess one of them) but we will report more as we can.

These cases are against us, not you. Having an account on Newzbin is not going to be a problem for you.

So, basically, if you start seeing press releases that legal action is commencing against us, don't be alarmed - we know, and indeed it's a good thing that we're getting these issues laid to rest.

Remember these things take time however, so it's unlikely we'll have further news for another few weeks - please don't hassle us for information, we will give you it when we have it."

Source: http://v3.newzbin.com/
    Last edited by Skizo; 10-16-2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Image didn't show up

yo

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Well, eventhough I don't use the site since I believe they're charging for something that every other free nzb indexing site gives you, I certainly hope they don't get taken offline. Which they might not since they don't actually host the files but only link to them.

Good luck newzbin.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    Well lets hope they win because if they do not it could and probably will set a precedent and we could see many more indexing sites taken offline free or not.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    There goes the neighborhood.

Last edited by Hairbautt; 10-17-2008 at 11:17 AM.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    turin's Avatar Turambar BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Good luck to newsbin, I hope you will prevail :-)

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    clos's Avatar The Zinc Saucier BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Does anyone know who made the complaints hes talking about?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    My guesses would be the MPAA and the BSA

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Man.. I just started using Usenet.. Is their service worth the $$ and effort to get an invite?

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Yeh same question as soopafly

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    No. Hell no. Not even at the $1/week or whatever it is.

There is nothing on that site which you cannot get from basic Usenet search engines such as http://www.newzleech.com/ or http://www.binsearch.info/

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast